Hello folks I wanted to share a current battle I'm underway with regarding the very first GPO piece I did and how I'm attempting to make it better.
The piece is A King's Lament, which I posted when I first came to the boards a few months ago. It's a tone poem through the emotions of a king having to tell his people to evacuate the city, that war is coming.
The original version is here. It was recorded all through Sibelius section-by-section and then compiled in Digital Performer.
Now, what I did with it is here. I took it into SONAR and added a ton of mod wheel data variation for expression, did a few instrument changes. Added some additional percussion from Gtown, as well as varying ammounts of reverb for each section. Tried to make the choir sound like they were coming from a loft somewhere in the performance space... Which I wanted very live and fantasy-esque.
Now, something still bugs me about the updated version. I have absolutely no idea what it is, since I've spent so long together with the piece. I want it to sound the best it possibly can, but I need some help pinpointing what exactly is troublesome about it. Any feedback into this is definately very helpful
Edit: I've pinpointed the first thing: during the first up-beat section, I forgot to put keyswitch on the strings for agressive short bows.