• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: TSO/Live Flute Demo. Samba.

Share/Bookmark

TSO/Live Flute Demo. Samba.

Here is a recording of the 1st movt. of my Flute Sonata.The live flute was supplied by Gareth Lockrane. The Piano is a mish mash of live playing, by myself, exported to Notation and brought back to a sequencer and re-editied for final rendering.
    This piece is about to be published in the USA, and will come with a CD of Duo and solo piano versions. Hence this rendering.
    On an interesting side note. It was GPO that brought me to this forum. Part of Garritans stated philosophy, is he hoped that GPO would lead people to other Sample Libraries, and to Live Players.
    Well it has led me to buy Worra's TSO and to seek out Gareth. So in some ways this piece represents Gary's philosophy in action.
    All comments, critiques welcome.
    Samba.mp3
    regards
    Joe

Re: TSO/Live Flute Demo. Samba.

Nice writing, Joe! Way to go!

I thoroughly enjoyed this. You are a master of this genre and style. Excellent flute and piano playing.

(Are you going to add the latin percussion later?)

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Nice writing, Joe! Way to go!

I thoroughly enjoyed this. You are a master of this genre and style. Excellent flute and piano playing.

(Are you going to add the latin percussion later?)

Regards,

Larry A.
    Thanks Larry, still no plans for adding rhythm section.But, never say never.....
    Nice to get a reply to this thread, 100 odd views and 1 reply.
    Do I take it, that you all dont love me anymore.
    regards

Joaz- I don't know why you are'nt getting the replies you deserve. Being a jazz vibes player and a full time composer, I know what it takes to make this wonderful music. Just beautiful. It's as good as it gets(Getz?)

Thanks artsoundz, for the encouraging words.
    I wasn't expecting the forum en-masse to launch a volley of "attaboys", but I would appreciate any comments on the Piano rendering using this relatively new Library.
    Is there anything I could be doing better.
    I like the low-mid warmth of the Piano samples, but I wonder if the high notes are just a tad bright. It is still early days with TSO and I understand that Worra may need to iron out a few wrinkles. I had to use a higher velocity on the high notes to make it cut through, and I fear I may have gone too far.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Here is a recording of the 1st movt. of my Flute Sonata.The live flute was supplied by Gareth Lockrane. The Piano is a mish mash of live playing, by myself, exported to Notation and brought back to a sequencer and re-editied for final rendering.
    This piece is about to be published in the USA, and will come with a CD of Duo and solo piano versions. Hence this rendering.
    On an interesting side note. It was GPO that brought me to this forum. Part of Garritans stated philosophy, is he hoped that GPO would lead people to other Sample Libraries, and to Live Players.
    Well it has led me to buy Worra's TSO and to seek out Gareth. So in some ways this piece represents Gary's philosophy in action.
    All comments, critiques welcome.
    Samba.mp3
    regards
    Joe
    Wow!!!! You actually got me up dancing....... (and THAT'S a sight!!!!).
    Very, very nice to hear the piano put to sooooo good use! Great flute!
    Thanks for using our products!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Hey Man!

I'm a brazilian composer. That's my first post here!
    I'm so glad to see there is other composers around the world interested in Brazilian Music!

By the way, beatiful composition! It make me remember a bit of Tom Jobim and Altamiro Carrilho...A great Flute player... Great chords!
    Forgive me my poor english.

Best!

Jacques Mathias.

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Wow!!!! You actually got me up dancing....... (and THAT'S a sight!!!!).
    Very, very nice to hear the piano put to sooooo good use! Great flute!
    Thanks for using our products!
    Thanks Worra. I love the sound of TSO. It suits me better than the GPO Steinway. I have heard other users get some great sound out of GPO Steinway, but between my controller (Yamaha P 90) and my own cack-handed playing, I never manged to get it purring.
    TSO has a lovely depth in the lower mid region.Still having one or two problems with the higher regions. Maybe when TBO is sorted out I will have to upgrade.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMathias
    Hey Man!

I'm a brazilian composer. That's my first post here!
    I'm so glad to see there is other composers around the world interested in Brazilian Music!

By the way, beatiful composition! It make me remember a bit of Tom Jobim and Altamiro Carrilho...A great Flute player... Great chords!
    Forgive me my poor english.

Best!

Jacques Mathias.
    Oi Jacques, Tudo bom ?
    I have devoted the last 8 years of my life to studying Brasillian Music. For me, Tom Jobim was one of the greatest Composers of the 20th Century. He was certainly one of the most consistent over his lifetime. I have played more than 350 songs by Tom, and they are all great.
    I enjoy the modern Brasillian harmonies also, Hermeto, Toninho Horta, etc.
    Thank you for your kind words, it makes me happy to know someone in Brasil likes what I am doing with your music.
    Até Mais
    ps Welcome to Northern Sounds

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hey Joaz,

Couple of comments....

I really like the composition, lovely. I wouldn't add percussion to it, personally. I saw that suggested, and what I find is that very often the addition of "latin percussion" comes off as very lounge-lizardesque, unless you're dealing with a really hardcore player (thinking Airto, et. al.).

So much of the essence of Bossa Nova is guitar and voice, anyway, so I think this kind of piano/flute treatment resonates well.

I think you could get a quantum improvement for very little time invested, by taking care of a little problem in the piano. The right hand chords in the comping sections sound way too tight on the attack, as if they're quantized into a block. If you took a few minutes to go through the piano part, and select those right hand block chords--then run a time randomizer on them--I think you'd get a huge payoff. If you're at 960 ppqn, I'd start with 25-30 ticks randomization and see where that gets you.

Nice work. I have nothing to add other than the above.

Go Back to forum