• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Mini-DV/S-SVHS Recorder for use with computer (capture) ?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Mini-DV/S-SVHS Recorder for use with computer (capture) ?

A Mini-DV/S-SVHS Recorder (JVC HR-DVS3 for example) for use with a computer, to professionally capture and bounce back video+audio ?

Has anyone got experience with this?

If I could connect this recorder through firewire, it sounds like a way better alternative then the hassle of a PCI video capture card.

Best,

Maarten

Re: OT: Mini-DV/S-SVHS Recorder for use with computer (capture) ?

Maarten,

I have a mini DV that I run through firewire and it works fine. I use Ulead Media Studio Pro software.

Terry

Terry,

A capture card has its own internal video codec. What about capturing through firewire? Do you get a PAL codec video that way? Or the codec you select in your video application when recording?

Maarten

Maarten,

You can capture in PAL or NTSC, it\'s all controlled in the software. Here is a quote from the ULEAD site about video capture with Media Pro:

\"Plug-and-play and view original source video from VCRs, TVs, laserdiscs or camcorders. DV with FireWire® (IEEE 1394) and MPEG-2 support for Batch capture, Scene Detection, Seamless Capture, and color calibration save time and ensure high-fidelity color.\"

I think most of your questions could be quickly answered at www.ulead.com There are many other programs available that do the same thing, but to answer your original question, video capture cards are kind of old technology. I use a Panasonic Mini DV that uses Firewire and SVHS. It works great!

Hope this helps.

Terry

I use a Samsung mini dv recorder with fireware and it works fine. I bought the firewire card on the web for about $20 and it came with ulead software (be careful buying firewire cards \'for video\' some companies sell the exact same card with the exact same software for five or six times the price).

The only problem I had was that the ulead software kept wanting to use my previous video card for capture. The free software isn\'t such great shakes for editing, but it\'s fine for capture.

I wouldn\'t underestimate the usefulness of PCI capture cards like the Aurora Fuse or Pinnacle. DV takes up WAY more space than analog caputure on the Fuse. If you\'re scoring an hour show, the difference in file size is huge. A DV video will put much more strain on your CPU than a smaller captured image, when running in your sequencer. For scoring, you don\'t need DV quality anyway. Most dubs come on VHS anyway, so digitizing to DV is really just overkill. Now if you\'re talking about editing video and stuff like that, sorry, and forget everything I just said.

JC

Go Back to forum