• Register
  • Help

Topic: LPC Clean and Distortion Guitar

Share/Bookmark

LPC Clean and Distortion Guitar

Anyone using LPC Clean and/or Distortion Guitar? I've been hanging for Real Guitar's electric version due out in Q1 2006, but the demo mp3s on the LPC site sound pretty tempting.
    http://www.prominy.com/les.htm

My questions are:

1. Is LPC user friendly, or is it a steep learning curve?

2. Given that you can dirty up the Clean version with Amplitude or Guitar Rig, are there enough bells and whistles in the Distortion version to warrant buying it as well?

3. The lead guitars on the mp3 demo tracks sound very authentic, but how tricky/complicated is the process of playing in a part with bends, slides and hammer-ons etc?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Geoff

Re: LPC Clean and Distortion Guitar

Real Guitar is much more based on MIDI than on samples. Right now with the Acoustic version it is better for chords/strumming then for solo.

If you are looking for realistic solo e guitar, LPC is the one right now.

1. Is LPC user friendly, or is it a steep learning curve?

>It has A LOT of patches. Once you go through them all and grab the ones you need and make a Multi out of them, you are set to go.
    You do have to look in the manual once at least to see which controllers are assigned to what.

2. Given that you can dirty up the Clean version with Amplitude or Guitar Rig, are there enough bells and whistles in the Distortion version to warrant buying it as well?

> I only have the Clean version, but I can tell you that you will be blown away how this can sound with a guitar amp processing plug-in.

3. The lead guitars on the mp3 demo tracks sound very authentic, but how tricky/complicated is the process of playing in a part with bends, slides and hammer-ons etc?

>That should be answered by the mp3 demo maker. And that's why I requested in this thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=40144&page=2 for the MIDI files.

As for myself, it doesn't take that long once you 'know' the library. (have your own template)

I hope that helps.

Thanks Chaim, that's very useful info.
    Do you happen to know if there's a forum or user group for LPC?
    I've been looking, but so far haven't had any luck.

Cheers,

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion

Cheers,

Geoff
    I wish there was one too.

Jeff
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

LPC sounds amazing but possibly overkill for someone looking for a way to do occasional electric guitar lead work -- considering its large library commitment ( hard drive space, learning curve, cost). While it is perfect for some, is there a more entry level ( size, cost) alternative? I haven't looked around for awhile and I was as hoping there was a synful or STRADIVARI SOLO VIOLIN style synth instrument for dedicated lead guitar emulation. I have been looking around but haven't seen anything. Any thoughts - either for a dedicated tools or for your favorite electric lead guitars in libraries out there.
    -blue

blue.

You could try Bella D Media's "Lyrical Distortion". It is considerable less expensive then LPC, and many folks on this forum will sing it's praises.

you would be surprise with what you can come up with with Direct Guitar from Pettinhouse

www.pettinhouse.com

it's a multi sampled instrument ( stratocaster i think) in it's absolutely clean form ( no amps here ). You can use any re-amping plug in and it's sounds great.

I find it more easy to come up with lead lines than with LPC. Although LPC is a great library , it's a bit more complicated to use ( depending on the application of course ).

check it out

Yves

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    you would be surprise with what you can come up with with Direct Guitar from Pettinhouse

www.pettinhouse.com

it's a multi sampled instrument ( stratocaster i think) in it's absolutely clean form ( no amps here ). You can use any re-amping plug in and it's sounds great.

I find it more easy to come up with lead lines than with LPC. Although LPC is a great library , it's a bit more complicated to use ( depending on the application of course ).

check it out

Yves
    I admit that the Pettinhouse demos sound attractive (that's why I purchased the lib) , but their result entirely rely on a very skillfull individual and a very clever choice of songs.
    For an average player, it will IMHO take way much longer (or forever...) to make something realistic with Pettinhouse, while it will no be that long with LPC, LD, or Chris Hein Guitars (my favorite by now).
    This is due to the drastic lack of articulations, expression, and velocity layers in Pettinhouse...
    Okay, the sound in itself is not bad, but the programming is VERY minimal.
    Performingwise, I'm on the average-to-low level, and I find much more satisfaction in the end with LPC, LD and CHG along with some tweaking, than with Pettinhouse even with long, time-consuming editing... and that's why I no longer use it.
    And, if you do consider what it offers, Pettinhouse is not that cheap. But well, to each its own !

well , it all depends on your objective..if you really want to emulate a lead guitarist to a " T" , then Pettinhouse might not do it.
    But I find that I can come up with some realistic lines with that library using mod wheel and pitch bend in realtime as I play . I admit that I have been playing for a while and , although I am a keyboard player , I just love guitars and always tried to emulate a guitar player.

Honestly , I do mockups a lot and I hire a real guitar player to "play" the final demo anyways so , for me , I just need to get close to what I hear and I find that the Pettinhouse guitar helps me to "get there" easily

best of luck

Yves

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion

Cheers,

Geoff
    Here is a link to the official forum of LPC: http://www.prominy.com/forum/index.php

hope this helps. I hope I didnt repond too late!

Go Back to forum