• Register
  • Help

Topic: My Stab with Jabb. . .

Smile My Stab with Jabb. . .

During the past two weeks, I have been spending my yearly "Dad and Lad" time with my father. We travel together to places that interest us. We also bring along our DV cameras and produce a small video that we share with our family and friends. (Actually, the process of shooting and editing the video brings US lots of joy. We're not necessarily good at it. But we have fun together during our "Dad and Lad" production. )

This year we spent a good share of our vacation time at my new home that my wife and I purchased this last summer. This lovely new home has a lovely view of near-by hills (small mountains). Also, our home is located to near-by museums. So, we visited the Clark Fine Art Museum as well as the Norman Rockwell Museum. And we brough along our video cameras, of course. (But weren't allowed to bring them inside the museums, unforuntately. ) We captured some lovely mountain ranges while at the Norman Rockwell museum.

Our one big travel was to Gloucester and Rockport Massachusettes. Also brought along our DV video cameras there too. Captured some lovely ocean and bay shots as well as a beautiful sunrise.

Of course our happy little video needs some music! So. . . .

I wrote this very simple light jazz piece using JABB and GPO as part of the "Dad and Lad Production" video. I also used Wizoo's Virtual Guitarist Electric Edition. It was a real quick and easy composition. My intent was more to provide something for music for our video. I'm happy with it, though.

I LOVE the jazz drum sounds that are included with JABB. Also, I think that JABB and GPO blended well together. At least they did for this very simple project. More importantly, though, the process of creating this musical diddy was just plain fun as dad watched lad input everything together into the computer (my father does more "hands-on" stuff with the video editing end of things). He actually sat with me as I composed and midi-recorded this simple little piece. I asked him if he was bored. He said no. Apparently it was interesting for him to watch me "create", and was equally amused and entertained when I made a mistake and grumbled underneath my breath. LOL!

Anyhow, here's the mp3 file of the light jazz piece titled 2005 Fall Adventures:

2005 Fall Adventures

I am also including a Window Media Player file of the video that we did. The video isn't finished, though. I'm still working with the background sound. For now, though, you get the video with the music:

2005 Fall Adventures - The Video

I want to add that I really, really like JABB. I hope to make more time to further explore this program. What I've experienced so far with JABB has been very cool.

Warm regards,

P. S. I really hope that there will be many, many, many, many more "Dad and Lad" times together. I say this as I acutely realize just how short and precious life is. We have such a wonderful time together. . .
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: My Stab with Jabb. . .

Fine job on this, Ted. Love that opening!

Great job. Enjoyed the film too. I think it's great that you have that valuable family tie with your dad. It will follow you for the rest of your life.

A very nice "up-section." Good rhythm and chord progressions. Write some more stuff to film..........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Orcas Island

You are so fortunate to such a relationship with your Dad and spending good times together is such a wonderful thing. And capturing the meories is a great idea. The music fit perfectly with your Fall Adventure. I enjoyed your upbeat music.

Thanks for sharing your music and video with us.

Gary Garritan

Nice one, Theodore!

The contrasting sections are really good! I enjoyed your work very much. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best to you,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander

Oh Wow! Thank you so much for your time and listen!!

Yes, time with my family has become very important to me. This is especially true with spending time with my parents. My father lives in Florida (I live in upstate New York) so I don't get to see him much except during our "Dad and Lad" ventures. This last time spent with him I noticed his "aging". He's still a very happy and relatively healthy individual. But his body is winding down and in all honesty this scares me. Hopefully there will be many more "Dad and Lad" times together. I find myself wanting still MORE time with him, though. He's a caring, gentle and loving man. We both share the same warped sense of humor. LOL! But I in the back of my mind I know that our lives are finite; time together is finite.

My mother (parents are divorced) lives closer to me. She recently moved to where I live simply to be closer to her son. This has been wonderful for us. We see each other at least once every other week or more. When I'm done typing this post here, I'm going to pick up my mother to do some shopping and chores together. These simple "mom and lad" times are very pleasant and fun too.

As I said in my first post, my precious wife and I purchased an absolutely beautiful home near the Berkshire mountains. We're becoming "home buddies" and find ourselves not wanting to leave our lovely home with the mountain views, new grand piano and fire place. We're both nurses. Work can be tough sometimes. Coming back "home" from work has become very, very therapeutic for us. Finding and making time together in this very busy life, too, has become a top priority. We are both looking forward to many, many, many years together, enjoying each other's company and enjoying our home.

Yep! I am a very grateful man who is going through his mid-life crisis!! LOL!! Some guys like to buy big and expensive sports cars, change jobs, find "a little action on the side". Me?? I want to spend time with my family and friends. I also want to write lots and lots of music (which has not been happening as planned, unfortunately). Oh yea. One more thing. I want to buy lots and lots of audio and video related software/hardware. Oh gosh!! I can NOT wait 'till GPOA comes around!!! LOL!!!

Finally, I will be listening to YOUR works too. I do when I get a chance. I learn a lot from you all. This and other music-related web sites house a LOT of brilliant, caring and talented individuals. You guys are great!!

Peace, folks!!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

That's a very uplifting and enjoyable piece, I really enjoyed listening. What piano are you using? It sounds great.

Good job-I enjoyed it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by itxlan
    That's a very uplifting and enjoyable piece, I really enjoyed listening. What piano are you using? It sounds great.
    Thank you!

I'm using JABB's Steinway Piano Lite. It is a very nice piano sound.

Very convincing - the instruments sound real; the balance is well handled. I realize the quality of the sound is largely Gary's responsiblity. At the same time, it takes a careful hand and ear to make them sound up to their potential - you've done that and more. This is more than a stab - you got the bull's eye (hey, is that one word?).

Great job!

Go Back to forum