• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: Nothing Like It!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Nothing Like It!

    The sound of a freshly tuned piano is certainly high on my list of musical pleasures! When a piano reaches a certain point in it's life, where the tuning stability and tone quality have arrived, and the instrument has sat in the same spot for years, been regularly tuned, and the environment is stable, a fresh tuning is just the thing to send a pianist into ecstay! Today was not a day for me to do anything involving knees or ankles, so I sat myself at my piano and did the tuning. It was pretty accurate at the start, but when I finished, and played a bit, it was so wonderful! Makes me want to tune it every week or two! I won't, but if I were a heavy handed player like Iturbi, I would tune it more often. My arthritic bones don't allow heavy fortisssimo, so the tunings hold well. Now that was some rattling on, but I consider some of the trashy, poorly tuned machines that I played on to make a few bucks, I am really ecstatic when I have a nice instrument, especially if it is my own! Richard

  2. #2

    Re: Nothing Like It!

    I agree. There's nothing like a freshly tuned piano!
    That's why I LOVE the GPO steinway!

    -Chris

  3. #3

    Re: Nothing Like It!

    And it has to be tuned by ear to bring out the lush abilities of the instrument.

    You just can't get that with a machine tunning it.

    Had mine tuned 2 months ago. $125 to bring it up a 1/2 step. I'm a bad boy for letting it get that far out. Shame.... shame... shame. Next time I will tune it myself.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

    www.waveav8.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: Nothing Like It!

    Quote Originally Posted by 88fingers
    And it has to be tuned by ear to bring out the lush abilities of the instrument.

    You just can't get that with a machine tunning it.

    Had mine tuned 2 months ago. $125 to bring it up a 1/2 step. I'm a bad boy for letting it get that far out. Shame.... shame... shame. Next time I will tune it myself.
    Well, with that much change, it is probably ready for another tuning now. But if you have not had some kind of training it is not a good idea to attempt it yourself. I remember my first tuning, long!!! ago. It was a very good tuning in C Major, but not being set for equal temperament, it was a mess otherwise. However, the opening of the Moonlight Sonata certainly sounded great, had quite a different feel. Noticed you live in Reno. I lived there 1950 & 1951. Many changes since then! ~~~Richard~~~

  5. #5
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: Nothing Like It!

    Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I agree. There's nothing like a freshly tuned piano!
    That's why I LOVE the GPO steinway!

    -Chris
    Well, this will surely displease Gary, but the GPO Steinway could use a good tuning. Now I will surely be banned from the Isle of Orcas for infinity plus 1 day! ~~~Richard~~~

  6. #6

    Re: Nothing Like It!

    1950 to 1951...... yes Reno is actually a city now. No longer the biggest little city in the world.

    Yes, tis time for the piano to be tuned again.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

    www.waveav8.com

  7. #7

    Re: Nothing Like It!

    Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, this will surely displease Gary, but the GPO Steinway could use a good tuning. Now I will surely be banned from the Isle of Orcas for infinity plus 1 day! ~~~Richard~~~
    Oh really?
    I just said it because I thought all sampled pianos were in tune by definition.
    Oops...Gary I didn't say that.
    Oh well, I still like the GPO steinway.

    -Chris

  8. #8

    Re: Nothing Like It!

    Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    The sound of a freshly tuned piano is certainly high on my list of musical pleasures!
    Now if I could say the same was true about my banjo...

  9. #9
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: Nothing Like It!

    Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Oh really?
    I just said it because I thought all sampled pianos were in tune by definition.
    Oops...Gary I didn't say that.
    Oh well, I still like the GPO steinway.

    -Chris
    Well, I still like it, too. I use it quite a bit. My last upload, Gregarri Finn Sonata, is GPO Steinway. Sounds pretty good. Richard

  10. #10

    Re: Nothing Like It!

    Quote Originally Posted by 88fingers
    Had mine tuned 2 months ago. $125 to bring it up a 1/2 step. I'm a bad boy for letting it get that far out. Shame.... shame... shame. Next time I will tune it myself.
    Ouch! That's a lot. I seem to remember my mom having the piano brought up a quarter step one month, and another quarter the next, rather than going whole hog.

    I've had a similar experience of bliss when getting a guitar professionally setup, including fret levelling. It's not only the sound that improves, but the feel of the instrument that is transformed.

    Sample libs are cool and everything, but they'll never match the magic of a finely tuned physical instrument.

    -JF

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •