• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Tuba Or Not Tuba" - Larry Alexander

"Tuba Or Not Tuba" - Larry Alexander

This is a reposting of my composition, "Tuba Or Not Tuba" (That is the question.) for forum newcomers who may not have heard it. (No, Shakespeare didn't write it...I did.)

This is a piece for a virtuoso performer and it features the GPO Solo Tuba 1 and the GPO Steinway Piano. I tried for realism. I hope that I achieved a little bit.

Regards to all,

Larry A.

Larry G. Alexander

Thumbs up Re: "Tuba Or Not Tuba" - Larry Alexander

LARRY! I LOVE the piece!

First off, the title of the piece just gave me the warm chuckles! LOL! I truly think that puns are the HIGHEST forms of humor!! LOl!

AS ALWAYS, nice job with the composition! You must know by know that I am a BIG fan of your writings! This is no exception!!!

I like the way you sequenced your piece. Nice work! The phrasing of the Tuba just seems very natural. I can see where the tuba player might get blue in the face after one of the longer passages. But I am sure with proficient breath control, it can be tackled by the best of tuba players. This is no piece for the beginner tuba player. After all, this is no beginner's composition. It seems to me, Larry, that you achieved "realism" with this piece.

My one and only humble suggestion. How about bringing out the piano a bit more in the mix?? It just seems too "far back" for a tuba and piano piece.

Again, NICE WORK, Larry!

Looking forward to hearing more!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: "Tuba Or Not Tuba" - Larry Alexander

I appreciate your input.

Larry G. Alexander

I don't want this to slide off into infinity. It was a lot of work.

Larry G. Alexander

Great work Larry!

Although I'm not a big fan of the Tuba, I can recognize and appreciate the compositional complexity. ( as always in your work)
    You have a tremendous gift for counterpoint and unique shifts in scale.

There's little I could offer in terms of critique, as I'm incapable of composing this form of arrangement myself.

… terrific composition.!

Thanks, Canadian living in Florida.

I appreciate your comments, Jeff.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander

Go Back to forum