• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: How do I link 2 PCs together??? What about Hans Zimmer???

Share/Bookmark

OT: How do I link 2 PCs together??? What about Hans Zimmer???

Ok...

To link 2 PCs together, you just have to have 2 PCs. One running the sequencer and the other Giga. The midi outpus from the sequencer PC goes to the midi inputs of the Giga PC. Route all soundcard outputs to a mixer and mix and record into the sequencer PC. All is good.

But, how the hell does Hans Zimmer control 20+ Giga soundchaser PCs, each running GigaStudio160 using just ONE FRIGGING APPLE G4 RUNNING LOGIC AUDIO?!?!?!? There are only 4 USB ports on the G4, shove an 8i8o Midi interface into each of them and that will only give you 32 midi outs... For 20 Giga PCs running GigaStudio160, you need 80 midi outputs from the G4!!!

So, how does he do it??? Also, is there a way to use the ethernet as the midi output device??? That would be cheaper... Then you can have an ethernet hub and LAN them all together and configure IP addresses and send them all over the place...

meeehoon

Re: OT: How do I link 2 PCs together??? What about Hans Zimmer???

Lee is correct. Zimmer uses a huge bank of MIDI interfaces as Lee describes and routes them to his 20+ giga machines via standard MIDI hookup.
    Then, he has a KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) switching system (probably \"Blackbox\" brand) to access any of the many computers with a single mouse,keyboard and monitor. Also, he very rarely even has to look at those machines. He just dials up any of his hundreds of labeled and organized tracks in his cubase template and the instrument is online and ready to play. His crew takes care of actually having to look at the Giga interface. He is more than capable of rigging and wiring and learning a complex studio but he leaves that to the crew and concentrates on composing. What a nice dream eh?
    Dave

Hiya all!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wow, that\'s a lot of midi interface!!! What I was hoping was that GigaStudio can somehow run everything through the LAN cable... After all LAN transfers at way faster rates than the 32KB/s of Midi...

If I have a lot of money and I own Tascam, this is what I would do...
    (1) Reprogram Giga and Logic to send midi info through LAN.
    (2) Have a G4 running Logic and 19 PCs running Giga.
    (3) Connect all computers into an ethernet hub
    (4) Send midi through LAN from the G4. Each of the 19 PC will have a number (or IP Address) designated to them and the Gigas will only accept midi info if the IP Addresses matches with the signal coming in.

This way, all you need is a soundcard on each of the machine which makes it way cheaper to build a system like this. With this scenario, you will only have 20 wires running into a hub. Whereas with how Zimmer does it, there would be 4 per PC and have 76 cables running around!!! Anybody care for some spaghetti bolognaise???

hehehehe... But its cool though... Last night I had the sweetest dream though... Hmmm... I might start another thread on building a dream studio...

meeehoon

Hi!
    We have discussed a similar problem a couple of months ago, don\'t remember the topic name now.
    There are some programs both the commercial and the freeware (I think one of them is MIDIviaNet) which allow you to MIDI-connect two (or more) computers using LAN. I am going to connect my two comps pretty soon so than I can give some report.
    Ondrej

Good Good Ondrej... GREAT!!!!!! I will be waiting for your report!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Meehoon,

Have a look at Midi Replicator by MusicLab.
    A couple of months ago they said they were going to do an A/B with a hardware midi interface so that they could present some facts about latency and jitter. Unforunately, we haven\'t heard anything yet. Hope they didn\'t run into bad news.
    A few guys have reported using it with success, although Dave Govett ran into some configuration problems with Logic.

Hey, it\'s $29, what have you got to lose?

http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    A couple of months ago they said they were going to do an A/B with a hardware midi interface so that they could present some facts about latency and jitter.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I did my own tests on Replicator vs. various hardware MIDI interfaces (M-Audio Delta, MPU-401, onboard AC\'97) -- the results were nearly the same across the board: jitter approximately 1ms for both Replicator and hardware interfaces (unavoidable under a non-realtime OS like Windows -- its finest timeslice resolution is 1ms); latency for Replicator approximately 1-2ms slower than hardware. I went further than that and wrote my own MIDI ethernet testing code and found that because of all the networking layers, MIDI over network will always be slightly slower than MIDI through dedicated hardware. The great advantage of MIDI via network though is that a 100base-T ethernet connection will saturate at about 3 million events per second vs. MIDI\'s 1 thousand events per second. You can put in as much pitch bend and controller data as you want and not worry about MIDI choking.

bottom line...: midi replicator

The new version handles 16 MIDI pipes - time to get another machine... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Killerbob - thanks for providing the results of your test. Makes me feel a little more confident about midi over lans. I can handle a tiny increase in latency, but I was very worried about jitter. Good news.

Go Back to forum