• Register
  • Help

Topic: what are some of the bass libraries being used

Share/Bookmark

what are some of the bass libraries being used

I am in the process of updating some of my samples and wonder if there are any new bass sounds available./ I would have thought this would have been discussed before but found very little on a search. I do a lot of country style music so Im basicly looking for clean and tone. At the present time Im using the will lee library and just wonder if there is anything enough better to justify buying it. Has anyone here used the bardstown audio acoustic bass, it looks very interesting. I just wanted to see what some of you are using

Jeff

Re: what are some of the bass libraries being used

Definitely check out Trilogy by Spectrasonics.

Good Luck,

Darren

PS Sonic Implants and Wizoo Sounds have some great singles if you're on a tighter budget.

Trilogy is my first choice for sampled bass because of the high sound quality, ease of use and great variety but i also dig the Scarbee bass.
    Its very detailed with lots of articulation but more complicated to use than the Trilogy basses. More of a solo instrument if you will.
    There is a new Bass lib coming out from Chris Hein.
    The demo sounds very promising!
    http://www.chrishein.net/warwick/wa_...demo_video.htm

best
    Hans

There's also Majestic by Yellowtools which is a rather exhaustive bass guitar collection; plus Wizoo has some multisampled basses (Fender Jazz and Musicman Stingray, maybe more) for download (Halion, Exs and Giga, I believe) which are quite affordable.

Wow,that Warwick lib might be pretty attractive if the price is right. I wonder if it's Giga- I didn't find any mention of format on the site.

I think the Warwick will come with a Kontakt player just like the Horn library.
    Maybe Chris can shed some light on this.

Hans

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

On the other end of the scale (I agree about the sounds in Trilogy and Scarbee basses are really good), Dan Dean released a set of Basses that are really simply sampled, one-layer, but they are a GOOD one layer and he has a ton of Basses in that collection which all sound exactly characteristic of their model.

Most of them are four combinations: Pick/amp, Pick/Direct, Finger/Amp, Finger/direct. I found that a little velocity-tied lowpass filtering can give them more life, letting them bark out through the mix more.

I wanted to mention that collection because it gives you a LOT of bass color for a very reasonable price, and it is surprising how good the one layer sounds when it is being played by a world-class bassist on good gear. That has a whole lot to do with it.

Another vote for Trilogy here. Great sounds right out of the box, easy to play and program with, lots of useable variety.

But that Warwick bass looks real promising as well.

Regarding the Will Lee Basses... I have yet to find a library that has as much "character" as that Sadowsky 4 string he had in that library. It was only 2 velocity layers, but man oh man, what layers they were. He kept all the fret buzz and everything in there, and on that particular bass, it just worked.That goes along with what Bruce was saying about the Dan Dean set.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Sadowsky basses just KICK ~~~ anyway!!! Roger Sadowsky builds the bass Fender should have built...those things are like god's own P-Bass. Chuck Rainey has one, a simple four-string, and it's the best sounding bass he plays. Just plug it in, and it's the bass sound you want. Of course Chuckie has a bit to do with that, but it's the best sounding of all his basses, and he has plenty of great basses. That Sadowsky is a freaking magic bass.

Another vote for Trilogy. I've also been using the Bass Legends library lately.

The Warwick library looks very well thought out and I was pretty impressed with the video on the website. I just wish they sampled a different bass! I'm just not a fan of Warwicks.

Go Back to forum