• Register
  • Help

Topic: Efficient use of using multiple articulations?

Share/Bookmark

Efficient use of multiple articulations?

I'm primarily a composer of concert music. I use EWQLSO Gold, GPO, and various solo libraries to put together my mockups, but my ultimate goal is a notated score to hand to live musicians. The way I usually work is:

1. Compose and mockup in SONAR
    2. Export as MIDI
    3. Import into Finale and/or Sibelius, clean it up, add text, dynamics, markings, articulations, etc.

I generally prefer 1-track-per-instrument (or section) so that each track in SONAR becomes one staff in the notation software. But this becomes difficult when dealing with multiple articulations, attacks, bowings, etc. I know a lot of commercial guys split this up into multiple tracks, but this creates a lot of extra work when creating the notated score (which I'm usually doing on a deadline).

Does anybody work like this? Has anyone come up with a good system for using multiple articulations while maintaining a sequencer file that will translate to notated score fairly intuitively (without having to re-input the whole thing note-by-note or do tons of copy-and-paste?).

When I was using hardware synths, I would just insert patch changes into my tracks, but the Kontakt Player (in EWQL Gold, GPO, etc.) isn't too friendly to that (unless I'm missing something). Keyswitches are helpful, but they are not always available for what I need...

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Efficient use of using multiple articulations?

I work pretty much like that - but in Cubase. I even use the notation editor in Cubase to get my scores out. Since Cubase's notation abilities is a 4 out of 5, I feel like it saves me from going back and forth between different softwares.

As far as I know, there is no product on the commercial market that provides us to work this way. Usually you have to start notating from either a MIDI-file or even from scratch which takes .. like 3 times as long compared to "compose and press print". There is "Notion", a notation softare with fairly ambitious samples included into the software. I'm not all that into it, since it will provide for mostly classically oriented music mostly and I need more. Yet I've heard no talk about it at all for almost a year so I can't tell you much more about it than the site will.

I use Halion as main sampler, and the way I get around this "having articulation richness without spilling them all out all over the keyboard" is to extract all wave files out of the libraries I own and then make my own Halion programs from them. I use mostly keyswitches and modulation controllers for switching articulations. It's alot of work to make one's own programs, but fortunately I only have to do it once.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Re: Efficient use of multiple articulations?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    This is why the VSL folks invented their new VI plug-in (take a look at it on the VSL site if you haven't seen it). I expect that whatever EW is working on will be somewhat similar. Zillions of articulations don't do you much good if it's tedious to use them all, and you're on a tight deadline.

Lee Blaske
    Exactly. Unfortunately I really don't have them money for VSL right now, and I've already invested a lot in GPO and EWQLSO Gold.

You say the EW is working on something similar to the performance tool? Do you know if this will be compatible with EWQLSO Gold? Or will I have to spend another $1000 to upgrade to Gold Pro?

Does anyone else have some advice for how to set up my sequences so that I can convert them to score without having to start from scratch?

Thanks,
    chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Exactly. Unfortunately I really don't have them money for VSL right now, and I've already invested a lot in GPO and EWQLSO Gold.

You say the EW is working on something similar to the performance tool? Do you know if this will be compatible with EWQLSO Gold? Or will I have to spend another $1000 to upgrade to Gold Pro?

Does anyone else have some advice for how to set up my sequences so that I can convert them to score without having to start from scratch?

Thanks,
    chris.
    If you know you are converting to score from the beginning, I would suggest playing the line using a single articulation., copying that to a "score track" (muted) which is simply to store your raw midi data and then copying the articulations as usual to different tracks from the "master". While you're at it you can quantise the raw midi track so that it is easier to export to score later.

Cheers,

Christiaan

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    This is why the VSL folks invented their new VI plug-in
    They want you to forget about the life musicians. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Exactly. Unfortunately I really don't have them money for VSL right now,
    And, they are not ready right now.

I have the same problem, for other reasons.
    I like to have one instrument with all articulations on one midi track.

If you own kontakt, you could remap the EW Gold instruments with keyswitches.
    I tink, one day (ore two ;-) I will do that. Send me a pm when you are interested.

Have a look at Peter Siedlaczeks String-Essentials.
    He has all articulations in one program. One for violin, viola, cello & bass.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Re: Efficient use of using multiple articulations?

One possibly practical approach would be to have multiple tracks for the articulations and then use Sonar's paste to one track option to recombine them prior to export.

Regards

Chet

Go Back to forum