• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: my JABB demo for fun

Share/Bookmark

my JABB demo for fun

I did this version of "Dream" for fun of course. It has some time issues so please forgive the drummer

All the sounds are from Garritan's JABB (Jazz and Big Band) library.
    It was created in Digital Performer played in on a Yamaha KX-88 keyboard and one instance of Altiverb 5 was used.

dpDan

Re: my JABB demo for fun

Very smooooooooooth Dan. I like the detailed Vibrato's you use here.
    Give the drummer a flask of coffee and walk him around the dressing room a few times.He will be fine.
    regards

thanks Joaz!

Dan

Very effective. The end section with the full band made me smile - actually I laughed, but in delight at how well it worked. Nice concept. Would you be willing to post a copy of the DP midi file (or did you do a lot of audio tweaking so it's irrelevant?) I'm curious about how you got some of those articulations out of the brass...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Hey, nice job Dan! I haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time with my JABB yet, so I've been patiently waiting for some more examples to show up here...

I'm curious about one thing though, that you, or someone else, may be able to answer for me.

With sample libraries, including this one, when there's a chord played by brass, sometimes, it really sounds "synthy". I noticed it on one chord in particular in your arrangement. It was beat 3 of the 3rd bar, after the drums kick in (about 2/3rds of the way through the song) Mind you, I really only noticed it on that one beat, so kudos to your programming and arranging (and to Gary for such a fine instrument).

Please note, this is not a criticism of your work. I thought your piece was very well done indeed. But when I heard that one chord, and only that one chord, I was reminded I was listening to samples, where everywhere else in the piece, I was simply enjoying the music.

What do you suppose that "X" factor is? My theory is pitch related. Perhaps because the tuning of all the parts on that particular chord was so "perfect", there weren't harmonics or partials beating against each other, like they might do, with real players.

Thoughts?

(and again, great work!)

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Very effective. The end section with the full band made me smile - actually I laughed, but in delight at how well it worked. Nice concept. Would you be willing to post a copy of the DP midi file (or did you do a lot of audio tweaking so it's irrelevant?) I'm curious about how you got some of those articulations out of the brass...
    Hi Soundsmith!
    I would be happy to share the dp4.61 file. I will email it to you, send me a PM and I will send my email address.

Jaimo, if you would give a time on the MP3 playewr that you are hearing this, I would like to listen again at this point, and give you an answer to what I think may be causing what you are hearing. I think it may be because I did not create enough vibrato, and that would cause the chord to be stagnant, is that how you spell that word?
    Thanks guys!
    Dan

Observations:

JABB is finally shipping or do you have an advance copy? Was there an announcement that I missed?

This demo tells me a lot more about the capabilities of this library than any other demos I've heard thus far. (In a positive way.) But the sax section sounds a bit like an accordian. Not sure if this is the fault of the JABB or DP Dan.

Musical criticisms (drumming aside): Rhodes is too loud and way too wet. The horn sustains are too long; you have to think about how and where real horn players would breathe. Improvised Rhodes riffs clash with the sustained sax section parts. During the full band section towards the end there are lots of wrong notes, and it turns into one big ball of mud.

Nonetheless, I've garnered enough from this to determine that I'll be getting this collection. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Soundsmith!
    Jaimo, if you would give a time on the MP3 playewr that you are hearing this, I would like to listen again at this point, and give you an answer to what I think may be causing what you are hearing. I think it may be because I did not create enough vibrato, and that would cause the chord to be stagnant, is that how you spell that word?
    Thanks guys!
    Dan
    Dan, on my iTunes counter, it's at 1:39 (3rd beat of the 3rd bar, counting from where the drums kick in with the snare backbeat).

That particular spot also has a "rub" to my ears... I can't out my finger on it, but maybe that's the kind of thing journeyman was mentioning (regarding the wrong notes/mud comment).

Regardless, I'm curious on your take as to the "synthy" sound at that particular spot, if you even agree with that assessment.

Thumbs up Re: my JABB demo for fun

wonderful as usual DAN!!
    you are blessed my friend!!

Best to you,
    Roberto

JABB started shipping about 2 weeks ago.

Jim

Go Back to forum