• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Problems with JABB electric guitars

Share/Bookmark

Problems with JABB electric guitars

This is directed to Tom Hopkins or anyone else who can help:

The JABB electric guitars play random notes, i.e. they play what THEY want to play and not what LARRY wants them to play. This happens when I try to sequence them with Sonar 3 in Kontakt 2. In other words, they don't play my written notes...they play random notes. None of the other samples act in this manner.

Also, both of these guitars have an incredibly long decay time. How do I adjust that?

Has anyone else had these problems? Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: Problems with JABB electric guitars

Make sure that your instance of guitar is not set to "Omni" - that it's receiving notes from only one MIDI channel.

Also - there is a controller for "length" - try CC21 - I think it's explained in the manual, but don't have it open in front of me. I have put up a copy of a PDF doc I created that lists a table of the controller assignments. You might find it useful as a cheat sheet. Check out the Tips and Tricks forum - I have a thread there about a Generic MIDI controller for JABB in Cubase - the reference to the PDF file is at the bottom of my post.

OOPs - just noticed that it wasn't moved to the JABB Tips forum - here's the thread http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40009

Check the bottom of the post.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Larry, I don't know if any of these are connected to your problem:

1. In K2, you need to manully load the info form the tect file associated with each instrument to get the correct default settings (these text files are read and loaded automatically by the JABB kontakt player).
    2. The sustain pedal switches the guitar to play open strings only - so the notes in between do not play.
    3. The keyswitch for harmonics obviously reduces the range of the instruments if accidently hit.

Good luck
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I was away for the day and read this one when I got back tonight. Wow, there's no need for me around here - these guys supply the same answers I would give! Now I can retire!

Tom

Thank you Richard, Houston and Tom for all of the information. I'm getting there...slowly but surely.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Larry, I don't know if any of these are connected to your problem:

1. In K2, you need to manully load the info form the tect file associated with each instrument to get the correct default settings (these text files are read and loaded automatically by the JABB kontakt player).
    2. The sustain pedal switches the guitar to play open strings only - so the notes in between do not play.
    3. The keyswitch for harmonics obviously reduces the range of the instruments if accidently hit.

Good luck
    How do you "...manually load the info from the tech file associated with each instrument to get the correct default settings..."?

I can't find this in the manuals.

Thanks,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    How do you "...manually load the info from the tech file associated with each instrument to get the correct default settings..."?
    You must place MIDI controller data at the beginning of the MIDI tracks in your sequencer to tell Kontakt what the default settings should be for a given instrument. The kind of controller data depends upon the instrument. If you wish to load one of the horns, you will need to open that instrument's corresponding text file, see if any of the values are set higher than "0." Most wind instruments have cc21 (length control) set to a value of ".5." This translates to a MIDI value of 64 (on a scale of 0 to 127.) Usually, that will mean putting a single piece of cc21 = 64 data at the beginning of the horn track but if you encounter any odd behavior you may need to place "0" values for cc20, cc22, and cc23, as well. The structure of the text files was explained in the update documentation for GPO. JABB uses the same structure. Here's that section of the documentation concerning text files:
    Instrument Default Text Files

Most users will never need to deal with these text files but advanced users who like to customize may wish to make modifications. For those users, here is an explanation of this new feature: Each instrument now has a corresponding text file that specifies the naming of player knobs and default load settings for these knobs. The text files are located in the instrument folders. Each file’s name is identical to the instrument it controls except for the .txt extension. A text file can be opened by double-clicking on it. Here are the contents of a typical text file:

Porta
    Length
    VAR 1
    VAR 2
    --

The first five lines supply names to the knobs; the second five lines supply the values in corresponding order. In the example above, the first four lines have knob names; the fifth line has a pair of dashes because the fifth knob is unused in this instrument; and the sixth through tenth lines have values for the knobs. The sixth line has a "0" because portamento is turned off by default upon load. The seventh line sets the length control to .5 (on a scale of 0 to 1) and all other controls are set to "0." If the user wished to have this instrument load with a slightly longer "length" time the value of line seven could be increase somewhat.

Tom

Cool Re: Problems with JABB electric guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    The JABB electric guitars play random notes, i.e. they play what THEY want to play and not what LARRY wants them to play.
    This is the just the nature of guitarists, they always behave this way! You'll also find that they start noodling around whenever there's a quiet part...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mistahamma
    This is the just the nature of guitarists, they always behave this way! You'll also find that they start noodling around whenever there's a quiet part...

Jim
    Exactly!
    It's just another great feature of JABB!!
    This truely adds to JABB's immense realism. The guitarists do whatever they want!
    I think there is a drummer plugin that speeds up the tempo when you least expect it too...

Quote Originally Posted by mistahamma

Jim
    Git-tar players are mostly wierd, aren't they.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum