• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: (JABB) Awakening - Flugel feature w jazz orchestra - P Read

Share/Bookmark

(JABB) Awakening - Flugel feature w jazz orchestra - P Read

Hi

Here is my third attempt with JABB (this is really cutting into my GPO time!). This is a bit long (8 minutes) but I hope you will find it entertaining nonetheless. It is the second part of a suite of 4 pieces called "The Climb" (long story).

I decided to do this one because it hasn't been played live yet, and I wanted to make some revisions. Man, using JABB makes this a piece of cake. You can really hear what works and what doesn't. Also there were lots of challenges for me in this one. Mute changes in the brass. Woodwinds and saxophones mixed, brushes and stix in the drums.

I'm not sure about the mix. It might be a little distorted because of levels set in the final stages of mixing, but I honestly can't tell. You all know about losing your perspective during the mixing process.

I learned a great deal more on this project and about halfway through finally figured out how to get aftertouch happening (I had a filter on in DP). So you will hear some desired vibrato in the flugel, and towards the end, the saxes all have vibrato I didn't want. Tried to get rid of it, but to no avail. Oh well. I'll keep at it.

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/Awakening.mp3

Hope you enjoy.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: (JABB) Awakening - Flugel feature w jazz orchestra - P Read

You're making a landslide of progress with the details of this business of JABBerizing, Paul -- but I'll leave the technical JABBering to others.

[Please take note of my invention of this new term in the technical lexicon of music... lol.]

Love the piece, smooth writing with some cool twists in it... looking forward to hearing The Climb in its entirety!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Paul,

I thoroughly enjoyed this...some great harmonic shifts in there, and a very sweet melody. I liked the shift in rhythmic feel around 2:55. And the shift from saxes to clarinets in the last minute is just right...Fantastic!

Best,
    Ric
    The little voices in my head are singing four-part harmony.

Sounds nice, Paul. That flugelhorn is really beautiful, and you have some elegant phrasing in this piece.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Excellent job, Mr. Paul. The flugel transfixed me!

I look forward to hearing more of your fine work.

My best,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Mmmmmmmm, what delicious harmonies...Funnily enough I sometimes play with a Flugel player who sounds a lot like this,very long phrases and lots of high notes.The only difference would be his broader vibrato, especially if it is a low last note of phrase.
    Although this pieces features the Horns, and very well done on them,I have to say I think the Bass is absolutely superb,very swinging, vey real.
    Great work. Lovely piece, and you are making giant strides with your renderings.
    regards

Yeah, well I've been studying an orchestration book by a guy called JABBa the Hutt or something like that . Thanks for your encouragement as always, David.
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    You're making a landslide of progress with the details of this business of JABBerizing, Paul -- but I'll leave the technical JABBering to others.

[Please take note of my invention of this new term in the technical lexicon of music... lol.]

Love the piece, smooth writing with some cool twists in it... looking forward to hearing The Climb in its entirety!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Thanks Ric. I learned a lot more about keyswtching in this project which will come in handy the next time around. Glad you enjoyed the piece.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ricz
    Hi Paul,

I thoroughly enjoyed this...some great harmonic shifts in there, and a very sweet melody. I liked the shift in rhythmic feel around 2:55. And the shift from saxes to clarinets in the last minute is just right...Fantastic!

Best,
    Ric

Hey Shazbot. Thanks for the compliment. I am glad to have finally discovered how to get aftertouch happening to add a little vibrato here and there. Can't say i think it is quite right yet, but I appreciate your comments about the phrasing. I'm not able to play trumpet or flugel, so it is GREAT fun to solo with a sampled instrument and pretend I'm there, so to speak. Thanks again.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    Sounds nice, Paul. That flugelhorn is really beautiful, and you have some elegant phrasing in this piece.

Larry,
    Good to hear from you and thanks for checking out my piece. Glad you like the flugel. I tried to use it frugally, if you catch my drift.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Excellent job, Mr. Paul. The flugel transfixed me!

I look forward to hearing more of your fine work.

My best,

Larry A.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast