• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI Controllers & Finale GPO

Share/Bookmark

MIDI Controllers & Finale GPO

OK, OK, OK. I don't know a lot about MIDI, and I just obtained GPO to work with my Finale notation program. Would someone please explain what "controller" like cc#11 actually are? Do they actually have any function if working with Finale? Are they keys on a MIDI keyboard (I do have one, by the way) that you press while playing something in order get an effect like pizzicato? Are they the "keys" on the virtual Kontact Player keyboard? Can I ignore any reference to them if working in Finale?

Now, if I use my actual MIDI keyboard to play the nice GPO instruments and realize a score of mine, instead of using Finale playback, should I have a separate sequencing program to capture them and mix together a performance? Thanks, John

Re: MIDI Controllers & Finale GPO

Quote Originally Posted by John Newell
    OK, OK, OK. I don't know a lot about MIDI, and I just obtained GPO to work with my Finale notation program. Would someone please explain what "controller" like cc#11 actually are? Do they actually have any function if working with Finale? Are they keys on a MIDI keyboard (I do have one, by the way) that you press while playing something in order get an effect like pizzicato? Are they the "keys" on the virtual Kontact Player keyboard? Can I ignore any reference to them if working in Finale?
    Midi controls (like CC#1) are the separate parameters that get applied to the midi signal that gets sent to the samples. In your Finale reference materials you can find the complete list of each controller and what it does. (i.e., velocity, modulation, sustain pedal, etc...) In Finale 2006, human playback reading articulations, dynamics and slurs, interprets these elements of music notation into the correct midi CC control.

The keys that you press on a midi controller keyboard to acheive pizz. for example, are call keyswitches. Finale 2006 and human playback interprets the text expression attached to a note (strings-pizz., arco, brass- mute, no mute) and changes the keyswitch automatically. Note, that there are keyswitches used in the full GPO that human playback cannot control yet, like muting in strings. You need to enter the actual keyswitch note into a midi track to make that switch.

On the Kontakt player keyboard, these keyswitches show up as yellow keys.

Now, if I use my actual MIDI keyboard to play the nice GPO instruments and realize a score of mine, instead of using Finale playback, should I have a separate sequencing program to capture them and mix together a performance? Thanks, John
    Sequencing programs will give you greater controls over the playback than Finale does. You can use a keyboard midi controller to play each part in separately in a sequencer and build your composition one track at a time. Or you can write a complete composition in Finale, save as a midi file, then open that midi file in your sequencer and use you sequencer's editor to fine tune your tracks. Or use a combination of both, import a midi file, then add tracks to it that you're playing in live.

Holpe this helps,
    Jeff

Thank you Jeff! You de-mystified several things for me. Any suggestions about a good but easy-to-use sequencer that would work well? John

Thank you Jeff! You de-mystified several things for me. Any suggestions about a good but easy-to-use sequencer that would work well? John
    A cheap and easy-to-use sequencer is Tracktion.

Björn

Go Back to forum