• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: JABB - Ballad for Mr. G. - P. Read

Share/Bookmark

JABB - Ballad for Mr. G. - P. Read

I know...does all this guy write is flugel ballads with jazz orchestra? I decided to do another one immediately on the heels of Awakening (posted a few days ago) to pick up on what I learned the last time. This one is much less complicated from a rendering point of view. Still have brushes and stix and a flugel feature throughout. No ww this time.

This was a piece written as a commission a few years ago and I decided it needed a rewrite. Never thought it had enough shape. So I used JABB to help me with the process. Kind of emulates the workshopping stage where you take the work out to rehearsal and make edits afterwards. JABB is so cool because you can really try things out fearlessly ( I guess I'm preaching to the choir).

The Mr. G. in this one is the name the students in the high school gave to their teacher as I bet none of them could spell his last name. I attempted to do what for me is one of the most challenging things as a composer: write music that can be played by a younger band. I have failed at this more times than I can remember; always writing too much and too hard. My original erred on the easy side I think, so the revision puts a couple of challenges back in (trumpet range 3/4 the way through) and so on. I notice a little Thad Jones influence in this, although I realize that's really flattering myself. Thad could write the most beautiful flugel features!!!

Anyway, I am posting as I am trying to improve my JABB chops and welcome the comments from those willing to listen.

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/Ballad%20For%20Mr%20G.mp3

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: JABB - Ballad for Mr. G. - P. Read

Mmmmm who could ever tire of Flugel ballads as beautiful as this. Lovely harmony, especially your E /F or E7#9/F chord, my favourite substitution for Fmaj7.
    Great use of colours. keep em coming man, I could listen to your stuff all night.
    regards

Very nice, Paul!

I like your use of flugel vibrato. It sounds natural, which isn't easy to do.

I agree with Joaz. I could listen to this type of music forever. I appreciate your talent very much.

My best,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Writing for younger players is one of the most challenging of compositional endeavors, Paul.

And personally, I never tire of flugeling... lol.

Nice work on this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Excellent stuff, most enjoyable!

Thanks to all who have listened so far. As always, there is great encouragement in reading your reactions. David, you are so right. I have GREAT admiration for those who write well for the younger musician. (And I find it SO difficult a task). There are many people who do this superbly and it is a great joy to hear these pieces. On the other hand....

I also completely despair at some of the terrible stuff one occasionally hears out on the adjudication trails (I do a fair amount of that). Music written by, no doubt, well meaning people who have either dumbed down the music to a tepid gruel, or written predicatable, hackneyed, boring, repetitive and monochromatic music that can only discourage or bore a younger player.

Okay...Soap box put away for now.

Paul
    Last edited by daerp@mac.com; 12-09-2005 at 01:51 PM. Reason: revised and softened the criticism a little (2nd para)
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Paul,

Nice and smoooth! This is going in my playlist for frequent listening.

The brush stirs, the flugel vibrato, the saxes - just marvelous. I like your voicing and chordal progression.

I just enjoy listening to this.

Thanks for posting it and looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Gary Garritan

Gary,
    Thanks so much. This was a very fun project to work on and I am quite pleased with this result. JABB and GPO are both deep and demand that the composer really delve into the aspects of all the various controllers. I feel I am still a rank beginner with this part, as I have been a paper and pencil (or Finale) type user until lately when the sequencing aspect has entered the picture. It is a smashingly FUN!!!! And about 36 degrees beyond COOL!!!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Paul,

Nice and smoooth! This is going in my playlist for frequent listening.

The brush stirs, the flugel vibrato, the saxes - just marvelous. I like your voicing and chordal progression.

I just enjoy listening to this.

Thanks for posting it and looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    The Mr. G. in this one is the name the students in the high school gave to their teacher as I bet none of them could spell his last name.

Thad could write the most beautiful flugel features!!!

Anyway, I am posting as I am trying to improve my JABB chops and welcome the comments from those willing to listen.
    Why might they have a hard time spelling Ghiglione? (At least I think that's a pretty safe bet)

Nice writting Paul. I'm impressed with both the tunes you've shared with us and the way you're getting things out of JaBB.
    Regards,
    Shane

Wow, I'm impressed you got Ghiglione! How do you know Brent? I love the guy and delighted that he has a new gig at U of R. Thanks for the complimentary remarks!!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sfawkes
    Why might they have a hard time spelling Ghiglione? (At least I think that's a pretty safe bet)

Nice writting Paul. I'm impressed with both the tunes you've shared with us and the way you're getting things out of JaBB.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast