• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need a sax therapist

Share/Bookmark

Need a sax therapist

I am trying out my JBB with Henry Mancini's theme from "The Pink Panther." Problem: Both the alto and tenor sax parts have notes that lie below the playable range in JBB. Other than moving down one instrument (i.e. replacing the alto with a tenor, and using the baritone to play the tenor part,) do I have any options?

Re: Need a sax therapist

http://www.samferrara.com/ThePinkPanther.mp3

I used a Bari Sax. ^_^

~Fire
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Actually, i haddent read your whole post. Unless you have a full version of Knotakt 1 or 2, no, you cant really. I'd just use a diffrent instrument..

~Fire
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Exclamation Re: Need a sax therapist

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    I am trying out my JBB with Henry Mancini's theme from "The Pink Panther." Problem: Both the alto and tenor sax parts have notes that lie below the playable range in JBB. Other than moving down one instrument (i.e. replacing the alto with a tenor, and using the baritone to play the tenor part,) do I have any options?
    Sure! Transpose the whole piece up until the sax parts are in the right range

JABB covers the real range of the instruments: tenor goes down to Ab (1st space bass clef), alto down to Db (middle of bass clef). In practice, each can go down another half step by shoving the bell against the leg, but I don't think this is covered in JABB. If you're close, I suppose you might be able to reach it with the pitch bend...

Enjoy!

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Thanks for your responses, FireGS and GDG. Not long after posting my message, the realization entered my tiny little mind that I have the full version of Kontakt 2. I read the manual section about how to extend the key range of an instrument, and followed the instructions to the letter. I moved the lower end down several steps, the corresponding keys on the keyboard turned blue but, unfortunately, nothing played when I pressed those keys. Guess I'll have to transfer to the Kontakt forum to find out what's up, doc.
    There's room here for a pun about my sax life not being up to par, but I don't want to go there.

I would check to see if your song is in the original key

I just listened to Henry Mancini's original version. I'm a tenor player, btw.

It is in Em (concert key), which surprised me , because the arrangements I've played in the past were in Fm concert.

So, first tenor melody note is D# concert to E.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    I am trying out my JBB with Henry Mancini's theme from "The Pink Panther." Problem: Both the alto and tenor sax parts have notes that lie below the playable range in JBB.
    Notwithstanding the technical JABB solutions to your question, why would you WANT write a tenor or alto part that has notes that can't be played by a live player? Are you okay with writing an arrangement that can never be performed live?

It also seems to sort of go against the whole concept behind the Garritan libraries, which is to create realistic-sounding playback. If you use a tuba patch to play back the piccolo part, it's not going to sound realistic. What's the point? I don't get it.

why would you WANT write a tenor or alto part that has notes that can't be played by a live player?
    Did I miss something? Macini didn't have real players? I gotta get me his synth!

Here is the man behind the Pink Panther sax:

http://www.plasjohnson.com/

Go Back to forum