• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: 'Overproduced' soundtrack - what the heck does THAT mean.....

Share/Bookmark

'Overproduced' soundtrack - what the heck does THAT mean.....

....LOL. I just purchased the 'Pirates Of The Carribbean' soundtrack. It says 'Music composed and conducted by Klaus Badelt'. 'Overproduced by Hans Zimmer'. So, I did some searching, and it appears that Klaus works out of Media Ventures. But what the hay does "overproduced" mean? Ok, so Hans maybe oversaw the score...maybe put his two cents in here and there (well, not JUST here and there; the score is EXTREMELY reminscent of a Zimmer score), maybe alot of 'Media Venture' samples were used (definitely sounds that way)....but overproduced????

Re: 'Overproduced' soundtrack - what the heck does THAT mean.....

uh oh..ANOTHER zimmer thread

please noone kill anyone when discussing this...

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    ....LOL. I just purchased the 'Pirates Of The Carribbean' soundtrack. It says 'Music composed and conducted by Klaus Badelt'. 'Overproduced by Hans Zimmer'. So, I did some searching, and it appears that Klaus works out of Media Ventures. But what the hay does "overproduced" mean? Ok, so Hans maybe oversaw the score...maybe put his two cents in here and there (well, not JUST here and there; the score is EXTREMELY reminscent of a Zimmer score), maybe alot of 'Media Venture' samples were used (definitely sounds that way)....but overproduced????
    It was probably a joke to reflect that everyone remotely connected with MV had a hand in this score, probably even the cleaners :>)

D

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Yes, that's probably a joke. Overproduced is a pejorative term.

Is it just me, or did they use a lot of MIDI in that soundtrack?

This isn't a criticism btw - I personally have some pretty high hopes for Klaus, I loved what he did with "The Time Machine".
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    Hans had mentioned that it was a joke...

Best,

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

there prolly was a lot of midi since it was completely done in two weeks, after silvestri got canned

Sounds like there was alot of MIDI - same as with The Rock, Drop Zone, etc. I saw Silvestri's name on IMDB, as "score withdrawn". I would LOVE to hear the temp score he did (even a MIDI mock-up if he worksthat way). What is with BIG composers getting canned? Silvestri on this, Shore on Kong and Ransom....who else?

Just about every composer in the business has been canned, except maybe John Williams.

I think it was Jerry Goldsmith who said that you arent really a filmcomposer until your score has been rejected

Silvestri was canned becuase his music was too much pirate music. Go figure.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Good people get replaced on projects all the time. It is that same phenomenon we were discussing in another thread. At some point, you're not just a "composer for hire" any more, you are brought on board to deliver a specific point of view. Sometimes that is miscalculated by the composer or the director/producer of a given project. Nobody wants to go on in that situation, on either side, so usually there's some mutual agreement that a mismatch exists and people part ways.

It's a very normal thing.

Go Back to forum