• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Mac?

Share/Bookmark

Which Mac?

I\'m Looking for a deal on a Mac for my sequencer. Can anybody with first hand experience tell me if the dual 867 mhz would give me more bang for my buck?

The 867 would have to perform well enough to run two motu 2408 racks, up to six outboard gear items, altiverb internally, and lots of tracks! Are there any tests comparing the two computers that I can find on the web?

The apple store is selling these for 1700, vs. 2500 for the dual 1 ghz.. The most significant difference (besides processor clock speed)between the two seems to be the bus size which is about 167 mhz on the dual 1 ghz, while it\'s the old 133 mhz on the 867 mhz.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

Re: Which Mac?

Rick

I honsetly don\'t think the difference in bus speeds is a consideration. This is not an area where bottlenecks manifest themselves on modern Macs IMHO. I could get 80 tracks on my 1st generation G4/400. You might get one or two less Altiverbs on the 867 but you will still get a lot of tracks, and I mean a lot of tracks, 100+ if you really need them with a lot of plug-ins, at least in Digital Performer.

One thing to bear in mind is that I\'m pretty sure the new Macs will take 4 ATA drives. The old dual 1Gb will only take two and both those are on the same channel. They will also take 2Gb RAM, the old dual 1Gb will take 1.5Gb.

As Lee says the dual 1Ghz has the Super Drive. You can back up 4.2Gb of data and verify it in just over an hour while you walk the dog or stroke the cat. That\'s a lot of CDR swaps! I find it very useful. If you need to you could do a surround mix in Digital Performer or Logic, convert it to an AC3 stream in DVD Studio Pro then burn a DVD with Dolby Digital surround mix of your song that will play on a domestic DVD player.

One thing to bear in mind is that these dual processor Macs are very noisy [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Dave Marsden
    http://www.gameaudio.com
    UK

Sorry I forgot the last paragraph.

The $800 difference is worth paying IMHO. You\'ll kick yourself if there isn\'t quite enough CPU left for one more Altiverb on the 867. I will certainly never buy a Mac without a Superdrive again.

Thanks a lot folks. I\'ll be heading in the direction of the dual 1 ghz. But you say there is an old dual 1 ghz? If I were buying a used one on ebay, (a consideration), how would I know whether it was the older dual 1 ghz? Does the older one have the superdrive?

Thanks again,
    Rick

Thanks a lot folks. I\'ll be heading in the direction of the dual 1 ghz. But you say there is an old dual 1 ghz? If I were buying a used one on ebay, (a consideration), how would I know whether it was the older dual 1 ghz? Does the older one have the superdrive?

Thanks again,
    Rick

Rick

The old dual 1 gig definitely has a Superdrive. It\'s not that old BTW, they were only released in January this year when I bought mine. I think some dealers have been having blow outs on the old dual 1 gig model. The old model doen\'t have the four round holes on the front of the case like the new range.

As I said previously, the older dual 1Gb has a 1.5Gb RAM limitation as opposed to 2Gb on the new ones and will only take 2 ATA drives instead of 4. I think there will be little performance difference between old and new in terms of music/audio use. The main difference is price, the old dual 1 Gb was at the top of the range on it\'s release whereas it is now the midrange model. That\'s 7 months of progress for you!!!

Dave Marsden
    http://gameaudio.com
    UK

I wouldn\'t discount the Dual 867 altogther. I upgraded from a Quicksilver 733 to the Dual 867 and the difference is amazing. I can mix now without even thinking about adding plug-ins or audio instruments - I haven\'t come close to maxing it out yet. The best benefit of dual processors to me is the screen redraws too - running Logic 5.2 - even if you\'re almost maxed out on DSP, it never feels sluggish. I moved from Protools and I can honestly say that there\'s not one thing that I miss now. For $1700, the 867 is a killer deal. I\'m sure the Dual 1Ghz is even better but for my money, not that much better. Either way you\'ll be very happy. I\'ll never buy another single processor machine.

Go Back to forum