• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some tips from one JABBer to others

Share/Bookmark

Some tips from one JABBer to others

The attached pdf file is offered as a bit of help to others who might benefit from some experience I have gained having now completed a the rendering of few full big band charts. I also have added a septet posting as well.

I don't offer these with any sense of being an authority, but I have definitely learned something on each project and thought it would be worth posting this little article.

http://www.paulread.ca/articles/JABB%20tips.pdf

Hope it is of some use.

Paul

PS. In the event that you might want to check out the completed projects, they are, in the order completed, listed below Even partial listen to each should allow you to hear progress in the rendering process in each case (hopefully). BTW, I discovered how to get my sequencer to recognize aftertouch about half way through my work on Awakening (third project).

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/Oxymoron.mp3 <-- No controllers or after touch. Just once through the chart without too much regard for any of the nuances that careful use of velocity (how hard you strike the keyboard) and the controllers might offer. You can probably hear me battling to control rhythms on the midi keyboard. It takes some getting used to but eventually it became more comfortable with each new project.

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/BedtimeStory.mp3 <-- No after touch at all, but discovered how to make it work near the end of the project. No quantizing. But I did discover how to get trumpets to move to and from HARMON mute.

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/Awakening.mp3 <-- after touch is working and I introduced doubles into the reed section (flutes, clarinets and bass clarinet). Also mute changes in the brass. Lots of bucket mute and reeds combinations in the orchestration.

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/Ballad%20For%20Mr%20G.mp3 <-- this one uses after touch and slower vibrato setting (cc17 for the soloist and many of the other instruments). Nice to have these options.

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/All%20in%20Good%20Time.mp3 <--- On this project I finally managed to be a little more successful controlling tongue/slur and accent through controlling velocity. This was written for a very young band and revised slightly while I did the rendering so that the trombone soli later on is a bit more challenging. Young students find slower tempos and syncopated rhythms hard to control as we know. I think I might have been a bit fast now that I hear the recording back. But I think you'll hear the attempt to use Basie style bucket mutes with reeds. BTW: The bass trombone is very user friendly!!

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/HowDeepistheOcean.mp3 <-- small band (4 horns and rhythm section. I managed to use pitch wheel on the trombone solo for the first time).

Paul
    Last edited by daerp@mac.com; 01-19-2006 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Additions and annotations.
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Some tips from one JABBer to others

Paul - just listened to Bedtime story. Yum yum yum. I'm a JABB newbie with oodles of sequenced stuff already in the bag, developed using off the shelf sounds from basic sound modules like the JV1010. Your creations inspire me to revisit these numbers using the articulations now possible through the JABB library. Which voice and settings did you use for the solo trumpet on Bedtime story? It's good enough to eat.

Respect

hotwash

Thanks hotwash!
    I used the flugelhorn 1 I believe and at that time was having no success transmitting aftertouch so there is no vibrato at all. In subsequent flugel features I figured out that my sequencer was filtering out aftertouch and corrected the problem Then found the vibrato too fast so I set it slower cc17=mid 50s I think. Also did some mod wheel work to shape the volume and sustain pedal to change from slur to articulated notes here and there, but can't remember doing anything that wasn't simply intuitive.

Hope that helps, and thanks for letting me know you enjoyed the chart and the performance rendering.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by hotwash
    Paul - just listened to Bedtime story. Yum yum yum. I'm a JABB newbie with oodles of sequenced stuff already in the bag, developed using off the shelf sounds from basic sound modules like the JV1010. Your creations inspire me to revisit these numbers using the articulations now possible through the JABB library. Which voice and settings did you use for the solo trumpet on Bedtime story? It's good enough to eat.

Respect

hotwash
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Great set of tips, Paul thanks for taking time to post. It has been fun, watching you grow, in competence and assuredness with your renderings. The actual compostions were always great though.
    regards

Paul
    Your demos are impressive especially the last two.I have all kinds of questions so maybe, if your willing, I could send you an email with more than those included here but basically I'm a jazz guitarist/composer--really new to the use of samples for chart realization and the whole midi world in general but am eager to learn.
    I've been writing charts on Finale for about 2 years using a G4 (1.5 ghrz) laptop. Ordered JABB but found the cpu can't handle it. I want to get a more powerful computer and set up anyway and really get into the sampling thing seriously. I like to write from notation (don't have a keyboard set up yet). I noticed that you have approximately the equipment I'm planning to buy. I read your helpful pdf but understood very little--- my question is
    What's the fastest way to learn how to do what you do? Do you give lessons remotely (I live in Massachusettes)? I've got a window of time over the next 3 months during which I have more free time than usual. I want to try to learn everything I can as quickly as possible--any suggestions about how to do that best? Is my mode of working which involves writing bits, listening back, then writing more all in Finale not going to work with JABB? If so would you suggest writing the entire chart in Finale (using whatever lame sounds in the softsynth for playback) and then re play the entire thing into a sequencer or is it possible to import the midi files and alter playback within the sequencer using midi tools? Up to now I've realized dynamics etc with the midi tool in Finale. Thanks for any advice and thanks for sharing your knowledge and music.
    Jazztao

Hey Paul,

Very nice JABB demos of your charts.

I understand you're going to be in New York for IAJE -- I hope you can stop by the booth on Friday and say hello! We have been playing your demos in the booth.

Hi Thad
    Sorry we didn't see each other in NY. I currrently sit on the IAJE Board (Canada rep) and was there from Saturday until Thursday morning, but had to return to Toronto suddenly that morning (long and uninteresting story for this forum). Missed just about everything in the conference. Total bummer. I did want to come by the booth to meet the GPO/JABB gang in person, but that is life apparently. Tom wrote me about playing Ballad for Mr G but I didn't know about any others. Glad they were used and hope they were of some help to you. Do you remember what was played? Hopefully latter stuff as my earlier attempts were pretty 'green'.

Anyway thanks for the post and sorry we didn't hook up. Did you enjoy the conference?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Thad
    Hey Paul,

Very nice JABB demos of your charts.

I understand you're going to be in New York for IAJE -- I hope you can stop by the booth on Friday and say hello! We have been playing your demos in the booth.

Hey Steve
    Just noticed the public version of your PM and thought I would thank you here for your kind remarks. I agree with your comment on the quality of the pieces. Hopefully anyone checking these out might hear a progression from very green to less green with JABB. Oxymoron was my first attempt and I learned a great deal about JABB, DP4.6 and other things along the way. The astute listener can tell that there is no control of aftertouch in the first two. I had inadvertently set DP to filter out all aftertouch (perhaps it was a default setting). But once I was able to use it and also get the right setting for cc64, I discovered a world of difference. Not sure if its in the "tips" but I find I have to send a cc (now where is my manual....oh yeah) cc17 with a mid 40s to 50s value to slow down the vibrato on the brass and particularly saxophones to suit my taste. Most defaults are too high for me.

I am working on a piece I'm calling Little Oxymoron II (A Thad Jones joke for those puzzled by that one) which is a substantial revision of the first (compositionally and as far as rendering goes). I am still trying to make the saxophone solo less mechanical sounding and so on but that family is the toughest one IMO to get to sound anything close to 'real'. By any comparison, the brass are a complete gas and easy to use. I sometimes just sit around playing bass trombone parts that are nearly impossible, just for the heck of it!!

Paul

PS. Once again...really enjoyed your site.

Quote Originally Posted by jazztao
    Paul
    Your demos are impressive especially the last two.I have all kinds of questions so maybe, if your willing, I could send you an email with more than those included here but basically I'm a jazz guitarist/composer--really new to the use of samples for chart realization and the whole midi world in general but am eager to learn.
    I've been writing charts on Finale for about 2 years using a G4 (1.5 ghrz) laptop. Ordered JABB but found the cpu can't handle it. I want to get a more powerful computer and set up anyway and really get into the sampling thing seriously. I like to write from notation (don't have a keyboard set up yet). I noticed that you have approximately the equipment I'm planning to buy. I read your helpful pdf but understood very little--- my question is
    What's the fastest way to learn how to do what you do? Do you give lessons remotely (I live in Massachusettes)? I've got a window of time over the next 3 months during which I have more free time than usual. I want to try to learn everything I can as quickly as possible--any suggestions about how to do that best? Is my mode of working which involves writing bits, listening back, then writing more all in Finale not going to work with JABB? If so would you suggest writing the entire chart in Finale (using whatever lame sounds in the softsynth for playback) and then re play the entire thing into a sequencer or is it possible to import the midi files and alter playback within the sequencer using midi tools? Up to now I've realized dynamics etc with the midi tool in Finale. Thanks for any advice and thanks for sharing your knowledge and music.
    Jazztao

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Glad they were used and hope they were of some help to you. Do you remember what was played? Hopefully latter stuff as my earlier attempts were pretty 'green'.
    Hi Paul,

We used the four charts you posted above (Oxymoron, Ballad for Mr. G, Awakening, and your arrangement of Tell Me A Bedtime Story) plus one that you posted elsewhere, All In Good Time. It was a pleasure to be able to demo these excellent arrangements -- Gary, Chuck, and I were all very impressed both with the quality of the charts and the quality of the programming. Sorry you ended up having to leave the conference early -- but perhaps we will see you next year?

Thanks again for posting these great examples of JABB work -- they were a tremendous help to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad
    Hi Paul,

We used the four charts you posted above (Oxymoron, Ballad for Mr. G, Awakening, and your arrangement of Tell Me A Bedtime Story) plus one that you posted elsewhere, All In Good Time. It was a pleasure to be able to demo these excellent arrangements -- Gary, Chuck, and I were all very impressed both with the quality of the charts and the quality of the programming. Sorry you ended up having to leave the conference early -- but perhaps we will see you next year?

Thanks again for posting these great examples of JABB work -- they were a tremendous help to us.
    Nice to hear they were of help. Hope there were lots of people at the booth. I know that expected attendance was in the 7000-8000 range this year for the conference and many of those make their way through the exhibits!! Yes, definitely see you next year or not. If I am on their Exec Board again I will definitely be there, but usually go particularly when it is in the northeast.

Best

Paul

Go Back to forum