• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: KING KONG

Share/Bookmark

KING KONG

Saw a preview this evening.

I would like to recommend it to my friends here at the forum. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Unlike many films of this genre, every character is fully developed.

James Newton Howard's score was amazing. Unlike, Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson's previous achievement, scored by Howard Shore, there is no distinctive musical theme. But James Newton Howard's music, intensely propels Jackson’s incredible imagery. I found it more complex than Howard Shore’s excellent Rings score.

But back to the script.

It’s a story we all know. We all know how it ends. So how can it be told in a way that is still engaging, captivating, and thoroughly entertaining? I think these are the questions Jackson and his team where asking themselves in developing this film. You can tell they thought long and hard about it… They came up with some interesting answers.

Re: KING KONG

Have you seen the gushing at rottentomatos.com- a 95% fresh rating for a monster movie!! It's unheard of.

I didn't want to let myself get my hopes up for this because I was into Peter Jackson waaay before he was cool and this one really sounded like it might lay an egg. Did the world need another remake of Kong? Apparently, yes!! It looks like he's done it again!!

Actually, never saw the old one, so I don't know anything about the story, except that it includes a girl and a big monkey.

Thanks for the recommendation, perhaps I will see it this holiday season. I love James Newton Howard's work, I look forward to listening to his score. It's amazing he completed it in only 7 weeks talk about crunch time . . . I can't wait to see how it sounds. Of course, I loved Howard Shore's LOTR score, so I might very well have enjoyed his score as well . . . but who knows

At first I thought it was funny that Peter Jackson would be remaking King Kong, but now it looks very cool
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I read that James Newton Howard only had three months to come up with the score.

"I don't think I've ever worked so hard in my life." ~James Newton Howard working on the King Kong score . . .

There's a great little video segment about JNH writing the score here: http://www.kongisking.net/kong2005/proddiary/

These are all cool, but especially check out the 4 weeks and 5 weeks . . .

I'm so jealous of the people that get to do this kind of thing for a living, but I'm also jealous of their talent

"Pain is temporary, film is forever" ~Peter Jackson . . . I think you could apply the same quote to music . . . in fact, I shall make it my siggy
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Actually, never saw the old one, so I don't know anything about the story, except that it includes a girl and a big monkey.
    I just rented the original on DVD and I'll have to buy it. I hadn't watched it all the way through since I was a kid but it's really a great film. It's not nearly as archaic as you would think- it has stood the test of time remakably well. And the documentary is amazing as well. I mean, I knew a lot of the techniques that were used in Kong but I don't think it ever set in just how revolutionary it actually was. That extends to the score by Max Steiner, often referred as the first truly modern film score. Yeah, KK looks a bit cheesy today in his stop-motion glory, but think how audiences back then must have been blown out of their seats!! it was the Jurassic Park of its day. And speaking of JP, the dinos in KK are still the coolest ever

Which all boils down to- rent it, you won't be sorry! Then go see the new one.

I've been following the video diaries since before the summer when they were still filming. Having seen them go through the entire process in bits and pieces really makes me appreciate how much effort and gorgeous work they put into it. And for a 3 hour epic, I'm really really looking forward to it...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    "Pain is temporary, film is forever" ~Peter Jackson . . . I think you could apply the same quote to music . . . in fact, I shall make it my siggy
    That quote is (recently) generally attributed to Michael J. Fox, who got it from Robert Zemeckis on Back To The Future. PJ might have pcked it up from him on The Frighteners, but I'm fairly sure I've heard it attributed to directors much further back, including Stanley Kubrick (who wouldn't flinch in the slightest at running his actors though 100 takes or more of a scene). I suspect it originates pretty far back in film history- will have to do some research!!

Yeah, I've been searching around, it seems it's a very common saying indeed . . . I've just never heard it
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Dolere temporalis, ars aeternus was found on the ruins of a wall of a Roman Senator's mansion. Right next to Julie loves Cleo and For a Good Time call V V V - I VIII II VII
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum