• Register
  • Help

Topic: Descending String Runs...

Share/Bookmark

Descending String Runs...

Hey all...

I'm working on a track that really could use a fast descending run from the violins at the end of a phrase.

I currently own Opus 1, Chamber Strings, EW Gold and Platinum, and GOS (converted from Giga to EXS), oh, and the Akai version of Seidlaczek's Advanced Orchestra. Opus has lots of ascending runs, but none descending, as far as I can see.

Has anyone successfully created a descending run, using any of those libraries?

The track is a retro disco vibe, and although I know there are a couple libraries specializing in that sort of thing, I can't justify spending any money for something so specialized, that may not get used again. Especially when you consider the libraries I already own.

Any thoughts?

Re: Descending String Runs...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    Hey all...

I'm working on a track that really could use a fast descending run from the violins at the end of a phrase.

I currently own Opus 1, Chamber Strings, EW Gold and Platinum, and GOS (converted from Giga to EXS), oh, and the Akai version of Seidlaczek's Advanced Orchestra. Opus has lots of ascending runs, but none descending, as far as I can see.

Has anyone successfully created a descending run, using any of those libraries?

The track is a retro disco vibe, and although I know there are a couple libraries specializing in that sort of thing, I can't justify spending any money for something so specialized, that may not get used again. Especially when you consider the libraries I already own.

Any thoughts?
    I can't tell you whether there are downward runs in Opus 1 or not (there are in Opus 2), but normally there is a program that gives you upwards by default and downwards with the modwheel.

D

How about spending money on something less specialized?

As an owner of Advanced Orchestra you qualify for the cross-grade to the Siedlaczek Complete Classical VSTi which contains the Advanced Orchestra, Classical Choir, Orchestral Colours, Smart Violins and Total Piano libraries in Kontakt Player format. The Smart Violins library should be able to pull your runs off nicely. As a non-EU resident you should be able to get it without VAT for €128.45 (around $152) plus shipping from www.bestservice.de .

Edit: I see shipping to the US is €45 ($53) which makes it a bit less appealing. There are a couple of US-based vendors that carry this VSTi like www.audiomidi.com and www.floridamusicco.com but I haven't seen the cross-grade option there.

/Yoss

Daryl,

You were right. the Opus 1 ascending strings runs do switch to descending with the mod wheel. Thinking back on it, I do remember now discovering that, but it was back when I got Opus, almost 2 years ago. Guess the memory is the first to go...

Anyhow, thanks! That will make things a whole lot easier for me.

Yossarian,

Thanks for the link. I'll look into that. I do remember hearing some Mp3's of Smart Violins a while back, and thinking that would be a good addition to my string libraries. The fact that the other stuff is included is pretty sweet. I'll definitely check it out.

Go Back to forum