• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone using a VIA133 mobo with Gigastudio?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone using a VIA133 mobo with Gigastudio?

I\'d love to know people\'s experiences with this chipset as I\'ve heard a lot of stories... Is it really that unstable? slow?

I\'m thinking about getting a very cheap gigastudio setup and the only mobo I could find that would accept sdram (which is half the price of ddr) had a via133 chipset. Does it work? Will I get 160 voices?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Re: Anyone using a VIA133 mobo with Gigastudio?

Mine has the Via chipset using an Intel P3 800MHz processor. I am using 1Gb memory. I get the full 160 but only with USB turned off at the CMOS level. I do suffer from the 2 minute glitch. I tried the factory special fix but it doesn\'t completely clear it up.

clueless

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    I\'d love to know people\'s experiences with this chipset as I\'ve heard a lot of stories... Is it really that unstable? slow?

I\'m thinking about getting a very cheap gigastudio setup and the only mobo I could find that would accept sdram (which is half the price of ddr) had a via133 chipset. Does it work? Will I get 160 voices?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m running a Tyan S2390B (KT133A Chipset) with an Athlon 1700XP and 1GB of SDRAM under Win98SE. Using an Audigy, actually. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] 160 voices, no clicks or pops. Bring on GS320. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have VIA KX133 on my board....and I rally , truly, honestly hate it....
    I can get around 150 voices with sequencer runing on the same machine when everything works...but most of the times I\'m trying to fix this or that issue with it...Two big problems that I know of with this chipset are incompatibility with a lot of sound cards (and it would be fine if it didn\'t work with those at all, it does... but not really, and then you have to start guessing..), and there is an issue with PCI latency which even VIA addmited and said they can\'t fix it without acctualy upgrading hardware.
    Oh and my performances are loading extremly slow in giga, 25-35min!...this is probably VIA issue as well.
    But then again if you do set it up so that both VIA and Giga are happy,when it works it works and I\'m happy with it, when it doesn\'t I want to throw the damn thing out of the window! Just be prepared for possible problems.

good luck,

Alex

Thanks guys!!

Two positive and one negative review..
    Bring it on if any of you guys have even more experiences.

Thomas

I\'ve seen a GS workstation built over a VIA KT133 chipset (a friend of mine has it). I never noticed it working badly or giving major headaches to him (he\'s a good computer engineer too) but I cannot say that it\'s completely \"safe\". I mean: he does not uses it for intensive recording sessions and I did not have the chance to accurately listen to his recordings in order to notice glitches and pops..probably there are some, he told me that workstation was giving some noise from time to time during a session...but nothing so horrible as he keeps working with it.

Just my experience,
    Alberto

I had audiophile 2496 and via kt133 chip and it was horrible. I just couldn\'t make my computer stable. Now with new motherboard all my audio/midi problems are gone [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

GOD DAMN VIA KT133!!!!

...sorry about that [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum