• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Christmas Liner Notes?

GPO Christmas Liner Notes?

Hey, Gary and the GPO Christmas Album crew:

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'd like to help out in a small way.

1) Would you be willing to let me take a stab at writing liner notes for GPO Christmas Volumes 1 and 2? Might be a bit late for this season but you could make them available in future years. Would the composers be interested in submitting a one-or-two-sentence bio for the liner notes?

2) This year, as last, the MP3s were posted without any ID3 tags. I came up with a set but somebody would have to copy them into the existing files on your server.

3) I'm looking forward to hearing some Garritan Big Band music for next year's album. Move over, Brian Setzer.

Question Re: GPO Christmas Liner Notes?

Hi, Wheat.

Welcome to the herd. I hope you don't mind my deviating slightly from the liner notes, but your idea and generosity has sparked an idea of my own.

If you enjoy writing, how would you feel about writing some articles, reviews, commentary, perspectives, interviews, etc. on the music and artists we feature on the Composer Channel?

I think it would be great to create an Articles section on the site where people could read thoughts about the music they're hearing, interesting stories about the composers, interviews, and anything else the creative writer might come up with that's supportive of our composers.

In fact, I'd like to make this an open invitation to you all. Are there any folks out there who enjoy writing (er, the literary sort) and would enjoy doing interviews or submitting articles?

I would offer only the obvious constraints on your creativity. First, as always I want to maintain a positive and friendly tone, so we'll call this Mom's Rule #1: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

The second obvious guideline would be that whatever article you submit, it should relate in some way, shape, or form to what folks are doing with their music and the various Garritan libraries, either on the Composer Channel or anywhere else GPO / JABB / etc. folks are doing cool things.

Of course, we'd include the standard bio paragraph at the bottom of any article you write and include a link to your web site, etc. in order to help promote whatever things you're doing.

So, what do you think, Wheat? (and everyone else, of course) Want to write for the Composer Channel?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

Orcas Island

Re: GPO Christmas Liner Notes?

Thanks for the offer and what a nice way of entering the community here. I certainly would be willing for you to help with the liner notes. And putting IDtags would certainly be helpful. Please fel free to PM or email me and we can co-ordinate getting this together.

And Chris, the Articles section is a very good idea and would be great if that happens.

Gary Garritan

Well, I've been working steadily and have come up with all the materials for the liner notes for GPO Christmas 2005. After emailing or private-messaging all 22 composers with certain questions, I have heard from half of them. Pretty good for the first 24 hours.

Each composer can give me some insight into his or her work, along with some personal background information, and I'd like to include as much as I can. But I got started late, so I'm going to have to draw a deadline in the next day or two and submit my work to Gary Garritan.

I'm having a lot of fun with this and I appreciate the opportunity to get to know so many of you.

Oh, after the GPO 2005 liner notes are done, I'll start working on the 2004 volume, which is less pressing.

In working on the liner notes I have heard from Fabio in Italy and Aziraphal next door in Slovenia.

For the GPO Christmas 2005 album, they each submitted an arrangement of a famous Christmas carol from within their own languages and traditions.

Here's a note I wrote to Matt (Aziraphal):

"I am very pleased that your piece "Zveličar nam je rojen zdaj" (“Now A Savior Is Born Unto Us”) is included in this album, along with Fabio's "Tu scendi dalla Stella" (“You Came Down From The Stars”).

In the United States and England, we mistakenly think that we invented Christmas carols. We rarely get to hear Christmas music from other traditions.

At Christmas time over here we listen to the same Anglo-centric repertoire year after year. We must be reminded that there are many other traditions besides our own.

Thank you for teaching me a new song.

Wheat Williams

I have submitted my GPO Christmas 2005 liner notes to Gary Garritan. Hopefully he'll post them on the GPO Christmas Web site soon.

Orcas Island

The Liner notes for the GPO Christmas Album are available at:

Thanks Wheat for putting this together, contacting the contributors and doing such a fantastic job.

The notes have also been incorporated on our Christmas page: http://www.garritan.com/Xmas.html

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: GPO Christmas Liner Notes?

Such a nice work!

I'm really happy to know more about you all my friends and colleagues!

I'm happy also for people all around the world able now to know more about us, our work, and our coomon ideals.

Thanks Wheat.

Great work, Mr. Williams! Very well written, thanks for doing it! Fantastic job describing the works' orchestration and such, I love it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Wheat you're one terrific person Thank you so much for your journalistic efforts! It was a very interesting read and offered many fresh new insights on the CD production.
    Thanks again!!
    Best regards, Matt

Go Back to forum