• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Topic: Hinamatsuri (Japanese Girls Festival) with JABB

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Hinamatsuri (Japanese Girls Festival) with JABB

    Hinamatsuri (Doll's Festival) is a Japanese traditional festival for girls on March 3 every year. Setting up dolls of king, queen and court officials including 3 abigails and 5 musicians and "left" and "right" ministers, and praying for healthy growth of girls. This tune is a jazz arrangement of a famous song for the festival ("Ureshii Hinamatsuri"- Merry Hinamatsuri by Koyo Kawamura.) performed by big combo with 5 saxophones. Re-rendered by Garritan Jazz and Big Band.

    http://homepage2.nifty.com/yamamoto_...ajazz-jabb.mp3

    I try to phrase saxphone solo with the hints given by Tom, Joaz and others, as I did last time to my Turbulence. Any suggestions or advices will be much appreciated. Thanks.

    Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

  2. #2

    Re: Hinamatsuri (Japanese Girls Festival) with JABB

    Jun,

    This is absolutely fabulous. It is a wonderful rendition of a great orchestration. Your rhythm section playing is the best that I have heard in all the demos.

    The only comment i would make is that, to my ears, the saxes could benefit from more use of the legato function - each note still appears to have a full attack - however this could be the sound that you are looking for?

    Also, use of vibrato might reduce the "organ" sound that I sometimes perceive.

    How do you render these pieces - notation or sequencer? if you use a sequencer, do you play the parts in "live" or use the piano roll?
    Richard N.

    Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

    Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

    Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

  3. #3

    Re: Hinamatsuri (Japanese Girls Festival) with JABB

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Jun,
    The only comment i would make is that, to my ears, the saxes could benefit from more use of the legato function - each note still appears to have a full attack - however this could be the sound that you are looking for?

    Also, use of vibrato might reduce the "organ" sound that I sometimes perceive.

    How do you render these pieces - notation or sequencer? if you use a sequencer, do you play the parts in "live" or use the piano roll?
    Thank you very much for your practical advice, Richard.

    The first sax soli intro should be performed with full attack for all notes but after that, it should not be necessarily so. I will check if I can use legato function in the parts effectively in the rest of the tune. As advised by many in my Turbulence upload, I applied repetition of legato/attack command in the baritone solo so that I believe baritone solo sounds a bit more naturally.

    "Organ" effect is another headache, especially in the first part. I will also apply vibrato. Should I apply vibrato with continuous data flow like "crescendo/decrescendo"? Maybe, yes.

    I use piano roll mainly with mouse. But I use keyboard for solo part and piano
    with slower tempo and editing the data a LOT.

    Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

  4. #4

    Re: Hinamatsuri (Japanese Girls Festival) with JABB

    Jun
    I like this a lot. Great work! A very interesting piece... intriguing. I love the energy of this and the twists and turns.

    One comment I would offer about the bass is that it sounds as if you have the velocity up pretty high which causes the very heavy attack and little resonance in the rest of the note. This is a VERY personal choice I realize, so I offer this only I you would like to try it. When entering your bass lines, don't hit the keys hard at all, as this causes the full on attack. The other thing you can do is reduce the velocity after the fact if your sequencer allows you to adjust the velocity down for the bass track. Experiment with reducing the attack velocitie by a 3rd or even a half. It is, of course entirely up to you and what your ears tell you is right. And finally, in the JABB bass instrument, experiment by increasing the length adjustment knob to see if that helps.

    The saxophone attacks sound fine at the start as you say they should be heavily articultated. After that, you need to use sustain pedal (on and off) to vary the articulation. The baritone sax solo might benefit here as perhaps the sax solis.

    Terrific stuff though. And I look forward to hearing more.

    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

  5. #5

    Smile Re: Hinamatsuri (Japanese Girls Festival) with JABB

    Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    One comment I would offer about the bass is that it sounds as if you have the velocity up pretty high which causes the very heavy attack and little resonance in the rest of the note. This is a VERY personal choice I realize, so I offer this only I you would like to try it. When entering your bass lines, don't hit the keys hard at all, as this causes the full on attack. The other thing you can do is reduce the velocity after the fact if your sequencer allows you to adjust the velocity down for the bass track. Experiment with reducing the attack velocitie by a 3rd or even a half. It is, of course entirely up to you and what your ears tell you is right. And finally, in the JABB bass instrument, experiment by increasing the length adjustment knob to see if that helps.

    The saxophone attacks sound fine at the start as you say they should be heavily articultated. After that, you need to use sustain pedal (on and off) to vary the articulation. The baritone sax solo might benefit here as perhaps the sax solis.
    Thank you very much for your useful advice, Paul.

    I will certainly look into bass attacks and length. I agree that bass is too loud and too aggressive in the first half. Also, longer tone will help.

    I agree that saxophones should be more neatly taken care of. I need to add articulation and vibrato note by note. I applied a lot of sustain pedal on/off
    to the baritone solo but the player might be too skillful.

    Thank you again and I will upload the tune when revision is done.

    By the way, I visited your web site which I found very nice. I will check it when I come back to home.

    Sincerely,
    Last edited by Jun Yamamoto; 12-11-2005 at 10:40 PM. Reason: wrong spell
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

  6. #6

    Re: Hinamatsuri (Japanese Girls Festival) with JABB

    Another very imaginative piece Jun. I agree with Paul's comments about the Bass and Saxes.One thing that might slightly improve the feel of the piece, is to look at the swing rhythm a little closer.Swing is never a Static triplet.In slower pieces it can be almost a 16th note, medium tempo a triplet, and in very fast pieces( Like yours) it can flatten out to almost a straight 8th note.It is tempting with very fast pieces to enter the notes at half tempo, but sometimes when you play it back at the faster speed , the "Swing" is wrong.None of this is the only way of doing it. But I think a less triplet feel would help your solo's sound a bit more real.Great stuff Jun, you really have a unique voice.regards
    Mmmmm I just noticed my post number, and it wont let me post smileys, or start new paragraphs.The interface seems posessed.Lol.

  7. #7

    Smile Re: Hinamatsuri (Japanese Girls Festival) with JABB

    Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    One thing that might slightly improve the feel of the piece, is to look at the swing rhythm a little closer.Swing is never a Static triplet.In slower pieces it can be almost a 16th note, medium tempo a triplet, and in very fast pieces( Like yours) it can flatten out to almost a straight 8th note.It is tempting with very fast pieces to enter the notes at half tempo, but sometimes when you play it back at the faster speed , the "Swing" is wrong.None of this is the only way of doing it. But I think a less triplet feel would help your solo's sound a bit more real.
    Thank you very much, Joaz.

    I learned that almost even eighth notes can create really strong swing feel by many performance by Bill Evens. I will once again check if my back beat eighth notes are delayed too much.

    Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

  8. #8

    Re: Hinamatsuri (Japanese Girls Festival) with JABB

    Thanks to invaluable advices from Richard, Paul and Joaz, I revised the captioned tune.

    I changed several things among others:

    -Saxophones now have continuously changing vibrato.
    -A little reduced velocity in bass
    -Articulations are revised for Saxophones.

    http://homepage2.nifty.com/yamamoto_...ajazz-jabb.mp3

    I hope the tune has been improved.

    Thank you for all the kind and useful advices.

    Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •