• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Drum Kit sample lib to be triggered by V-Drums?

Share/Bookmark

Best Drum Kit sample lib to be triggered by V-Drums?

Hello everyone,

My brother is looking into buying a new drum kit, but I want to first show him the type of sound he could be getting using his V-Drums and simply upgrading his sound pallet to samples. Besides being a more cost effective option, using samples triggered by V-drums should prove much easier than having to mic and record an entire drum kit, as long as the sound is comparable. With todays sample technology, this should be no problem, right? Unfortunately I do not know the first thing about drum sample libs and would like some advice.

Is there anyone out there already using drum samples triggered by V-Drums? Which lib would be best for this function? I've heard good things about scarbee's Imperial Drums and Toon Tracks Drum kit from Hell Superior. Any of these libs have a preset for V-Drum use? We will be using these samples in conjunction w/ Logic 7 on Mac OS X 10.4 if this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Best Drum Kit sample lib to be triggered by V-Drums?

I think the two options you mention may be your best bet. If you have a GigaStudio rig in the mix, be sure to check out Larry Seyer's Acoustic Drum Library. I would rank that my top recommendation, if not for the platform criterion.

DFHS Custom & Vintage accommodates V-drums very well.

Check out Stormdrum as well. The acoustic kits are pretty good, but your brother will really be able to expand his pallette with the other sounds in the library.

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Make sure to go to Toontrack's site and check out the demos of sessions being done in real time with DFHS and V-drums. It will astound you. There are several choices for good sounding libs but AFAIK the way Superior actully tracks and triggers for live playing is... well, superior!!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Is there any problem running any of those with OS 10.4 in Logic? How difficult is it to create your own kit to be triggered by V-drums (setting the instruments, velocity switching, layering, etc) Any already have templets setup? (my brother doesnt like to dig under the hood to much )

Thanks again! Checking out the Demos now, looks amazing!

P.S. We will be using these mainly for hard rock, so if you need to change your vote...

Can't tell you about Logic for sure- I do know it's supported- but there's a forum on Toontrack's site that has a FAQ and an e-drum section that would say for sure. I do know that there are templates for all major sequencers and pad setups, as well as a section to ask about DIY setups. They're pretty helpful over there.

I believe BFD is another option you might consider checking out.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Go Back to forum