• Register
  • Help

Topic: help in using modulation vs velocity vs volume please

Share/Bookmark

help in using modulation vs velocity vs volume please

Hi folks,

I've been using cubase for a while so am familiar with the general usage of these things, but the way modulation (cc1) works with GPO is thowing me off. I've read as much as I can on these forums but am still unclear on how I should be using modulation as part of the process. (I get the principle of velocity determing aggressive vs soft samples etc & volume is obviously straightforward, but the problem is in the cc1 modulation control)

I've not been able to use a keyboard so have been relying on mouse input lately & will continue with this for some time.

The problem I have is with the overall volume. I'd programmed a lot of into in but the main volume was very low. It looks like the mod (cc1) had defaulted to 0 (or 1 i suppose) in each of the tracks. There were two problems here; 1 - the overall volume was low & 2 - when I edited a couple of tracks to add cc1, they became very loud (even when I had them going values of say 10-30 out of 127)

What would be the best approach to using mod values in my workflow. It strikes me that if there were some way of having it always default to 66 (ie the halfway point between 0-127) then that might be a good starting point. As everything would have a medium volume & I could then lower for quiet/soft passages & increase for loud/strong passages.

Does this make sense? Is something like this possible to automate? I have a nasty feeling that I'll need to manually program a modulation value in for everything even if it is played with a constant 'expression' if I'm to avoid problems when it comes to mixing.

I'd really appreciate any comments - I get the feeling this should be quite a simple problem, but I'm struggling with what the best approach should be...

cheers!

V

Re: help in using modulation vs velocity vs volume please

Seems like you understand what it's supposed to do, and that's the first step.

A good workflow for you will depend on how you usually input your musical lines. If you like to input lines first, and edit mod values later, you and I are in the same boat. Here's how I like to do it. Mind you, I'm in Sonar, but I'm sure this will translate easily.

When I create a new MIDI track for a GPO instrument that uses mod for dynamics, I always place a single controller event at the very beginning of the track. I usually set this to around CC1=40, to give myself room to grow. The new version of Sonar lets you save "track templates," so now I can save one for a GPO clarinet, that already has the controller value in place.

The important thing is that your sequencer must be set to "chase" MIDI controller values. That is, if you start playing the piece in the middle, it first searches backwards, and picks up the last value.

After putting in your notes in, go back and draw in the controller values to taste.

I hope this helps.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: help in using modulation vs velocity vs volume please

Quote Originally Posted by Vantre
    The problem I have is with the overall volume. I'd programmed a lot of into in but the main volume was very low. It looks like the mod (cc1) had defaulted to 0 (or 1 i suppose) in each of the tracks. There were two problems here; 1 - the overall volume was low & 2 - when I edited a couple of tracks to add cc1, they became very loud (even when I had them going values of say 10-30 out of 127)
    Just thought I'd make sure there is no misunderstanding here about the function of cc1 and how volume is controlled. The static volume of an instrument (its level in relation to other instruments) is set in one of two ways: With the knob in the player or, when activated in the player's Options menu, cc7. Default levels, and panning positions, give an approximate starting point when cc7 is not activated. Changes to the knob position for an instrument will be saved with your song file in Cubase if you wish to modify levels. If activated, cc7 should be set with a single piece of data at the beginning of the track. Use a modest value like "64" to avoid overload later on in the mixing process. cc7 should never be used to "shape" the dynamics of a part. That is the job of cc1. Mod wheel data is designed to control expressive volume and corresponding timbre changes. The mod wheel is not a "set and forget" controller. Properly applied, the data will be almost continuously changing throughout a track. Skysaw's advice is a good way to get started so that instrument levels are up high enough to enter note data and hear the instruments well. Once you have the note data in the track then start drawing the more detailed cc1 data into your track to get the expressive ebb and flow of the passage. For more information be sure to check out some of the tutorial material on the Garritan site at www.garritan.com

Tom

Go Back to forum