• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: String samples will nver give you this grief

Share/Bookmark

String samples will nver give you this grief

This story may give you a reason for remaining content with your string samples. A samples library will never give you this sort of grief (even if they do burn a hole in your savings from time to time).

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/ar...538ce3&ei=5070

This is a link to an article in the Sunday NY Times (12-11-2005), but I don't know how long it will be available. If you can't get to it directly the article is called "The Broken Chord" and it is written by DANIEL J. WAKIN.

Marko

Re: String samples will nver give you this grief

Don't people EVER read Bleak House?

yes Paul. Read the article with horror yesterday and thought of Bleak House too.

I recall hearing this story about 4 years or so ago. It will go down in the annals of legal issues in music.

It is a complex story. But what I recall the most was the idea that the first violinist was said to be a poor violinist by the other 3 in the group and that being a poor performer he hurt the group's reputation. The attourny for the first violinist asked the other members in court, "Did you make more money while he was with the group?".... "yes"... "did you sell more CD's while he was in your group?" ... "yes".... "did you give more concerts while he was your first violinist?".... "yes" "Did you have more favorable reviews by critics while he was your first violinist?.... "well, yes"..... "now then, will you please explain to the court why the first violinist was bad for your group?"

No wonder the first violinist prevailed in court.

David

This a story of common sense taking second place to stupidity.

I'm saddened and mystified by the judge's ruling that instruments can be taken. Surely this a means of employment, and should be treated as such?
    Whatever the reasons, and/or who's responsible, it will change perceptions and affect relationships within other ensembles now the 'law card' has been so completely and destructively played.

I'm also mystified by Erlich's intent in this. Surely if he doesn't fit in with the group and the majority wish to be rid of him, he'd be glad to go, if just to be free of the underlying tension. And i wonder if the reason for taking such action isn't more to do with a belligerent intent of vengeance, than fair compensation for time spent performing. The judge ruled he was entitled to huge back earnings. Hadn't he been paid for gigs already?
    I sense there is something else behind this that hasn't been reported, as i find it hard to believe such sums of money and loss of instruments could be the final result from a Qtet performing music, no matter how indifferent to a musician's lot a judge could be.
    I mean no offence to anyone hear as i am a global citizen respectful of the rights and opinions of others. i do wonder however if in addition to the 'law card', the 'religious minority persecution card' has been played as well, in order to sway the result more favourably, and bring a darker emotional impact to the decision made.

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic
    I recall hearing this story about 4 years or so ago. It will go down in the annals of legal issues in music.

It is a complex story. But what I recall the most was the idea that the first violinist was said to be a poor violinist by the other 3 in the group and that being a poor performer he hurt the group's reputation. The attorney for the first violinist asked the other members in court, "Did you make more money while he was with the group?".... "yes"... "did you sell more CD's while he was in your group?" ... "yes".... "did you give more concerts while he was your first violinist?".... "yes" "Did you have more favorable reviews by critics while he was your first violinist?.... "well, yes"..... "now then, will you please explain to the court why the first violinist was bad for your group?"

No wonder the first violinist prevailed in court.

David
    Absolutely Rob - and do try and catch the new BBC edition of Bleak House if you haven't already. Charles Dance as Mr Tulkinghorn is superb.

But regarding the above quote from Chambermusic - well, that's incredibly honest and somewhat naive from the remaining 3. The word 'chancery' immediately springs to mind. Chancery is a good word regarding legal pursuits where silly words like justice are used in the same sentence.

This is a fascinating case and thanks for bringing it to one's attention.

The problem with the world in general...people don't read enough Dickens.
    The problem with this case in particular: legal fees have made it a crushing, destructive force. Mediation would have avoided that. Lesson:
    avoid involving lawyers in your disputes/divorces/arguments whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    This story may give you a reason for remaining content with your string samples. A samples library will never give you this sort of grief (even if they do burn a hole in your savings from time to time).
    Are you kidding? Why the other day my EWQL Gold solo violin refused to play with my Kirk Hunter virtuoso strings. Then they both spotted me over on the VSLO web site listening to a few demos. So they got together with the cellists and caused a massive kernel fault (crafty little beggers) It's all I can do to hold these guys togther...

Don't get me started on the brass section...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I now recall that I had read about the Audobon quartet case in an issue of a Chamber Music America journal several years ago,.. in case anyone interested and can find access to the journal.

David

Cool Re: String samples will nver give you this grief

When I was at school I used to have a piano trio with two brothers (one of whom now plays violin with the Berlin Phil, and the other plays cello with the Halle orchestra and BBC Phil; and I'm stuck teaching high school music. Life sucks) who frequently spent half of each rehearsal having sword fights with their bows, throwing heavy objects at each other, and calling each other a number of unrepeatable names. And that was just over disagreements about interpretation and bowing. Maybe it's something intrinsic about string players.

Go Back to forum