• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Dark Shadows for Santūr and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Dark Shadows for Santūr and GPO

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted any music for quite some time. Partly because I have so little time and partly because this little piece has kept me busy for longer than I expected...

I've written a little character sketch for the Santūr, which is a turkish harp-like instrument, played with little wooden hammers. It's not meant to be a solo concerto-type piece, I simply chose the instrument for it's tone, and included it with the GPO orchestra. I don't pretend for one moment to be an expert on Santūrs, but I quite enjoyed exploring the colorful sound of this interesting instrument.

This piece is will probably not be everyone's cup of tea, and it's quite different from my usual 18th century imitation style. So don't be surprised if you hear some fiercely dissonant moments.

I hope someone will find it worth listening to.

You can download the Mp3 here:

L'Ombre Diabolique

PS: This is my first all GPO VST and Overture 4 piece. It's recorded straight from the score in Overture 4. The Santūr samples are from Sonic Implants.

PSS: For those who like guessing games, I quoted three notes from my favorite female pop-singer !! Perhaps you can find them.....
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour źtre grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Re: Dark Shadows for Santūr and GPO

Just beautiful and tasty!
    sfiks

Louis

This was wonderful work!

The orchestral bits were uniquely powerful..
    Very emotional… film score-ish
    A departure from your Baroque/Classical influences… but yet, still there in your chord structure.

..… not sure if you intended such…but I felt the Santur gave your piece and odd twisted flavor, kind of like a placing a banjo in a Beethoven score.

As I was listening I tried to imagine the Santur replaced with a string Pizzicato… or harp... Which could blend as well.

But perhaps it's just me….. Perhaps it's good to stir things up musically….

... Great arrangement!

jeff

Amazing Louis!! Your writing is top notch and the sound sound you've achieved blew me away. The dynamics and balance are impeccable. At times I hear a R. Strauss influence and just now and then a classical flavor. Really love this piece.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thumbs up Re: Dark Shadows for Santūr and GPO

Indeed Luis all the colors of the orchestra are well enunciated!!
    This is wonderful in style composition and orchestration.
    Man you achieve great sounds here!!
    It seems to hear a real orchestra!!!

Absolutely great!!

Congratulations on this piece, man!!!

Roberto

What an interesting piece.It is like a drama unfolding.
    I thought you handled the more "modern" elements with great conviction, and you get a really great Heroic French Horn sound from GPO.
    My brother in law plays Santur, so I can personally vouch, that is an instrument you have to learn to love, .
    You give it a very interesting dramatic voice here. Like an outsider crashing in to the discussion.!!
    Cant hear the 3 note Pop tune. Give us a Clue.
    regards

Louis
    I enjoyed this immensely. Very convincing approach. You sound quite at home in this more dissonant context and the orchestration is restrained and powerful at the same time. It seems to end abruptly to me, though on first listening. Are you adding more?

Great work!
    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

I want to say thank you for all the comments. I didn't expect it! Considering the unusual nature of the piece. Anyway, the oddness of the combination is quite intended !

Joaz, as for the "quote", I'm pretty embarrassed to admit that it's a song by BS. I say no more , and I said it as softly as a public forum would allow ........
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour źtre grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Joaz, as for the "quote", I'm pretty embarrassed to admit that it's a song by BS. I say no more , and I said it as softly as a public forum would allow ........
    Ok Louis, I wont tella anyone if you dont.
    I am a confirmed fan of Kylie's derriere myself. Let him who is without sin, cast the first stone.
    regards

I know I should be gushing over your composition, and while I find it beautifully written, I just can't get over how great your instruments sound!!! They sound so real! How do you get GPO to sound so incredible! I tweak and tweak and I just can't get the dynamics and timbre that you have achieved! Amazing!! And I do like your composition. Very unique! Your technique is great a usual. But really! Can you give me a few hints on what you are doing to get such realistic results! Just fantastic! Wow!

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast