• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Zendrum Controller--work in progress

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Zendrum Controller--work in progress

Hi Gang,

I am anxiously anticipating the arrival of my new Zendrum (www.zendrum.com), which is a really wonderful percussion performance controller. I saw one in action a couple of years ago, and had a chance to play one recently, and I was just totally, completely sold.

Turns out I'm not the only one...I hear Eric Persing has gotten one in just the past few days, too. Jennifer Hruska (president, Sonic Implants) is a long time Zendrummer, and Larry Seyer has gotten the bug as well.

They are top-notch quality, the same kind of heft and finish as a nice custom guitar. David Haney, the founder of the company, and his business partner Kim Daniel, hand build each one, and they are all one of a kind pieces.

I thought you might be interested in seeing the work in progress...

Here is my Zendrum, right after the analine dye was sprayed and with a couple of clearcoats...it will have another week of clearcoating before getting buffed and assembled

Here is a similar one, with a more pronounced color gradation, which is fully assembled

The wood in both of these drums is curly flame maple, layered with rock maple in the center.

These are both ZX models, which is the original. Eric got the "laptop." I think they're both really cool...I checked both out before ordering, and would lean towards the ZX if you plan to gig live with it. For me the laptop model felt a little physically constricting for moving around on stage. But on the other hand, if you were looking for something to have on the desktop in the studio for drum programming, the laptop model might be pretty cool. It will strap up as well. I think the laptop model might also be cool for modeling a single handrum's behavior with a lot of different zones. It is symmetrical, so one could develop some interesting mapping.

Crap, now I want both...

The touch on these things is just phenomenal. I would highly recommend checking one out if you've been thinking about percussion controllers. I have a TD-7 kit, a Pad-5, and a HandSonic, and the touch and control on the Zendrum just blows all of those controllers out of the water. It will track everything from the lightest finger taps to wailing on it like a conga.

At any rate, I am just about to pop with anticipation, and wanted to share the photos David had sent me.

Re: Zendrum Controller--work in progress

Heh-heh....yep, I'm getting pretty excited about mine too. :-)

(love your blue finish, mine's a red flame top)

I'll be using it extensively at NAMM at our booth in January. I've got a loaner unit until mine is finished being built, so I'm discovering some pretty radical things that you can do with it in combination with our virtual instruments. It's incredibly fun and the whole notion of having something with a custom designed finish and that kind of craftsmanship is really, really cool! These guys are pretty incredible to deal with too...super cool so far!

For those coming to NAMM, be sure to drop by the Spectrasonics booth and I'll show you some of my Zendrum tricks! :-)

spectrum

PS. I'll probably end up getting another one too...there's just too beautiful to have only one!

The red is really gorgeous...the purple burst ones are very lovely, too. I've been on a blue kick lately, so there you go.

This new forum software is definitely not formatting well, is it? The posts are getting cut off on the right of this thread, too, and there are no lengthy "locations" in the profile pane in either Eric's or my profile. So, I guess that's not the only contributing factor...

At Capital University there is actually a MIDI band that had talked about geting a few of those for the band. It is an ensemble that plays all MIDI controllers. Is it worth the investment?

Sean Beeson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    This new forum software is definitely not formatting well, is it? The posts are getting cut off on the right of this thread, too, and there are no lengthy "locations" in the profile pane in either Eric's or my profile. So, I guess that's not the only contributing factor...
    I'm not having any problems now, with this thread or any other at the moment. Wonder why...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    At Capital University there is actually a MIDI band that had talked about geting a few of those for the band. It is an ensemble that plays all MIDI controllers. Is it worth the investment?

Sean Beeson
    I would definitely say yes.

The problem with every other hand-capable controller on the market is that they're hard to play. The HandSonic is actually harder to play with your hands than some of the stick-oriented controllers. The pads are laid out all wrong--you can't perform with any kind of physicality...everything is crammed together, which makes sense for a stick controller, but not for a hand controller. And because they're all clumped up, it's also hard to have any kind of stage appeal when playing one. The HandSonic was definitely designed to come in at a specific price point with a specific set of features, but it sure did not equate to a successful instrument.

You can get very aggressive with a Zendrum, and the pads are laid out in such a way that you can develop patterns and techniques that have some physical motion. That's a big deal to me, because playing on something small like a Pad-5 or HandSonic really doesn't allow you to get your full body into the groove. Not only does that make your grooves more stable and layered (big muscle/small muscle juxtapositions), but it gives the audience and band something to look at and feel.

The other big deal about a Zendrum (which I mentioned, but it bears repeating) is that I have yet to play any hand controller which had good pad response--that you could dependably control. I spent five minutes playing a Zendrum, and knew I had to have one.

So, back to the short answer, yes. If the guys are interested, have them contact David Haney (his e-mail address is on the site) and he can probably hook them up with someone in the area who has one and can demonstrate it.

How weird...now the posts look right.

EEEK. Actually not. Now the text field above looks truncated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    EEEK. Actually not. Now the text field above looks truncated.
    Yep, seeing that.

Test- short message
    My long sig is keeping it from happening.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast