• Register
  • Help

Topic: SAM True Strike- Halion or Giga 3.0?

Share/Bookmark

SAM True Strike- Halion or Giga 3.0?

Can anyone point out the Pros & Cons of each of these formats, please?

I'm using Logic, Mac OS 10.3.9, with Gigastudio on an "external" PC via MIDI.

I would think the Halion VI would be the most comfortable way to go and have the better performance programming, but I've not been too impressed by Steinberg mac support in the past. Disk Streaming in particular was lousy and the GUIs were prime suspects in many a Logic crash. I actually gave up using Steinberg VIs, so I don't know whether they've got that act together yet or not.

seems like I'm answering my own question here ;-)...."go with Giga"??...

but maybe someone has useful information or recommendations-thanks!

Nigel

Re: SAM True Strike- Halion or Giga 3.0?

I purchased the Starter VI edition upon first release late last year (Feb. 2005).

I've been running this edition on a Mac G4 Dual 1Ghz with 2 gigs of RAM and just recently moved to a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 with 2 gigs of RAM.

I've encountered nothing but problems with the Halion player and it has gotten to the point where Project Sam are allowing me to crossgrade to the Gigastudio version.

Myself and SAM User Forum Member 'Dr. Quest' were the first people to start posting our results with the VI edition of True Strike on the SAM User Forums. Many posts and tests later led us to discover that Halion has a bit of an issue with Disk Streaming while running as a plugin (in our case AU) inside a sequencer.

When one 'asks' the Halion player to start streaming from disk and then repeatedly starts, stops, rewinds, fast fowards etc. the sequencer, things that you would have to do when sequencing, the streaming becomes interrupted and starts to choke all samples after a second or so of playing. Only a reboot of the plugin will fix it. We came to know this as the "Truncation Bug".

Please go to the SAM User Forums and under VI Instruments you'll find our posts. My original one was titled "Major Problems with True Strike VI".

The SAM Forums sort by date so you'll need to go back in time a bit and ask the brower to show 'All Posts'.

Dr. Quest ended up exchanging his for the Giga version right away while I decided to go down with the ship. Steinberg just released a new 'Update' to the Halion Player on Dec. 15 and one of the fixes in their report was dealing with the 'Truncation Bug' that we brought forward to SAM and Steinberg.

I excitedly installed it hoping my problems would disappear only to have the plugin crash upon loading. This new update has totally destroyed my version of True Strike and I need to revert to an earlier version.

Basically, my work flow has been so adversely affected by this plugin that I'm tossing it and crossgrading to the Giga version. I can't take it anymore!

Music should not be this hard or frustrating to make.

-Mike Ayotte

Mike, I appreciate your reply and feel for you with your troubles. Those are the kind of trials which make anybody give up on a VI altogether. I was also keen to use Steinberg's The Grand, Halion Strings, and Halion itself but put them back on the shelf one by one "until they get it working properly".

SAM support told me that people who had troubles with the halion VI under OS 10.3xx found that 10.4 was ok - what are you using?

Thanks

Nigel

Honestly, I don't know what version of Mac OSX I'm currently on but it definitely is a version of Tiger.

I'm away from my computer for the holidays so I can't check. I was using True Strike back when I was on Panther and the move to Tiger has had no effect.

-Mike Ayotte

Go Back to forum