• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI guitar with GPO

Share/Bookmark

MIDI guitar with GPO

Okay... I'm not using a keyboard at all, but a guitar-to-MIDI controller (Brian Moore into a GI-20). I'm using Sonar PE 5 as my sequencer.

Obviously, the guitar doesn't have a mod wheel... I don't even have an expression pedal yet. So how am I going to get sound out of GPO in Sonar? (Or can I??)

I've looked at the "I Don't Have a Mod Wheel" piece, but I'm not getting much info from that.

Thanks in advance.

Re: MIDI guitar with GPO

You must get something with a mod wheel if you are going to try to make semi-realistic renditions with these libraries. They are extensively designed around using a mod wheel for dynamics, expression and volume all in one.

That's not to say that you couldn't draw the mod wheel data (cc#1) into your sequencing program, but playing it in is much more musical.

dp

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    You must get something with a mod wheel if you are going to try to make semi-realistic renditions with these libraries. They are extensively designed around using a mod wheel for dynamics, expression and volume all in one.
    Well, obviously a guitar does not have a mod wheel. And the reason I invested in guitar-to-MIDI to begin with is because I can't play keys. Will an expression pedal work?
    That's not to say that you couldn't draw the mod wheel data (cc#1) into your sequencing program, but playing it in is much more musical.
    Thanks. I've been trying to do that as a start, but no luck so far.

I have a Roland GI-20 and I use one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/702509/

You can plug an expression, volume pedal, (or any kind of variable resistance device) into this unit and set it to transmit any kind of controller data you like.

They also make a unit that accepts a breath controller. Although I have to say, I haven’t found a breath controller much to my liking. The linearity in the upper range of breath velocity seems a little strange. Also, moving all that air makes me dizzy.

What would really be cool is some sort of bite-pressure controller. Anyone know of something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by bousley
    I have a Roland GI-20 and I use one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/702509/

You can plug an expression, volume pedal, (or any kind of variable resistance device) into this unit and set it to transmit any kind of controller data you like.
    Sigh. You mean I can't do what I want with an expression pedal without yet another piece of equipment?

This is getting awfully expensive, especially when I can already use all the other samples I own without any more gear whatsoever - including the Garritan Pocket Library in Dimension Pro.

I was looking at my GI-20 manual and realized that you can in fact connect an expression pedal to the unit and generate midi control changes.

Turn the Parameter knob to "Assign"
    Push the select button until the first indicator LED (only) is lit
    Push the Value "Up" or "Down" buttons until the correct control change number is displayed

It's on page 20 in the manual.

Hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by bousley
    I was looking at my GI-20 manual and realized that you can in fact connect an expression pedal to the unit and generate midi control changes.

Turn the Parameter knob to "Assign"
    Push the select button until the first indicator LED (only) is lit
    Push the Value "Up" or "Down" buttons until the correct control change number is displayed

It's on page 20 in the manual.

Hope this helped.
    Thanks. It does help, once I get an expression pedal, at least.

I was looking at the GI-20 manual last night, but I was having difficulty understanding things. I'm not a tech geek, by any stretch. So what value is the proper one to assign?

Thanks again!

I'm another guitarist with a MIDI guitar and a Roland GI-20. I'm trying to get up the courage to tackle playing GPO and JABB from the guitar. Let's keep in touch.

Setup: Brian Moore i88.13 guitar, Roland GI-20, M-Audio Ozonic (keyboard/controller/audio interface with FireWire), Mac mini (1.3GHz, 1 GB RAM), Mac OS X Tiger, Sibelius G7, GarageBand 2, Cubase SE 3, Band-in-a-Box 12, a few soft synths and other sample libraries.

Kewl. Are you aware of the midiguitar yahoogroup? This particular problem I had here was quite software-specific, so I asked here (although as it turned out, I got some responses on the yahoogroup as well), but usually the yahoogroup is an excellent resource when you're having technical difficulties, and I think you will find it valuable for other reasons too.

You can find the list here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/midiguitar/

My setup is PC, and I'm just learning, so it's not likely I could be of much help on the troubleshooting end of things myself.... At least we're both running Brian Moores and GI-20s, though.

I have a complete gear list here: http://www.metanarrative.net/gear.php

Go Back to forum