• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Wagner

Share/Bookmark

Wagner

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I've been wanting to get some CDs with Wagner-music for a while, and now I've finally gotten around to doing something about it. However after looking in amazon.com I realize there are many different recordings of each of his works. Is there like a generally accepted list of which recordings are the best, or is this purely a matter of personal taste? Are there any recordings one should stay away from because of poor quality or whatever?

Thanks.

Re: Wagner

Here's a good resource for finding good classical recordings. I don't know how much Wagner there is here, but you'll find other nice CDs as well...

http://www.kusc.org/pro_Record_Shelf.shtml

-JF

As it turns out, the number one recording of all time, according to KUSC's Record Shelf was composed by Wagner:

Wagner: DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN.
    Soloists, Vienna Philharmonic/ Georg Solti.
    Decca 455555.

Then again, it costs $164 at Amazon!

-JF

Hm, it's not really what I was looking for, but thanks.

get the ring without words

I've been really impressed with the performances and recordings of Neville Marriner conducting the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields orchestra. If I'm ever looking for a particular piece of music I always find out if they've recorded it.

EDIT: If you listen to NPR, they play Neville Marriners versions a lot.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Quote Originally Posted by hbjdk
    I've been wanting to get some CDs with Wagner-music for a while, and now I've finally gotten around to doing something about it. However after looking in amazon.com I realize there are many different recordings of each of his works. Is there like a generally accepted list of which recordings are the best, or is this purely a matter of personal taste? Are there any recordings one should stay away from because of poor quality or whatever?

Thanks.
    Hi hbjdk,

You do realize that the vast majority of Wagner's work was opera? He probably would have considered the Ring to be his greatest work. Or are you more interested in the small amount of instrumental music, mostly overtures to entire operas and/or preludes to some of the acts?

His stuff is so well known that I don't think you can go wrong with any recording by a well known orchestra. So if it's the London Symphony, Boston Symphony, New York Philharmonic, Cleveland Orchestra, LA Philharmonic, or even St Louis it'll probably be a decent enough recording. Just avoid anything in mono. Heck, even Neville Marriner probably does good Wagner, though he made his reputation for historically informed performances of early music (which Wagner isn't). I personally like the reissued stereo recordings from the 60s and 70s because they're cheap.

You do realize that the vast majority of Wagner's work was opera? He probably would have considered the Ring to be his greatest work. Or are you more interested in the small amount of instrumental music, mostly overtures to entire operas and/or preludes to some of the acts?

His stuff is so well known that I don't think you can go wrong with any recording by a well known orchestra. So if it's the London Symphony, Boston Symphony, New York Philharmonic, Cleveland Orchestra, LA Philharmonic, or even St Louis it'll probably be a decent enough recording. Just avoid anything in mono. Heck, even Neville Marriner probably does good Wagner, though he made his reputation for historically informed performances of early music (which Wagner isn't). I personally like the reissued stereo recordings from the 60s and 70s because they're cheap.
    I hardly know anything about classical music and opera but after inheriting a lot of CDs from my dad, I started listening to it. Among the CDs were a recording of Mozart's Requiem played by the BBC Symphony Orchestra which I found I liked very much (although I do have to be in a special mood before putting it in the CD-player.) I also remembered hearing some Wagner in that old 70s movie "Apocalypse Now", which sounded awesome, so I figured Wagner-operas might be something for me.

I think I'm gonna look into the reissued stereo recordings.

Thanks!

get the ring without words
    I think I will - I found out it's very cheap (£6.99).

Quote Originally Posted by hbjdk
    ...I also remembered hearing some Wagner in that old 70s movie "Apocalypse Now", which sounded awesome, so I figured Wagner-operas might be something for me.
    That would be Die Walküre (The Valkyrie), which is part of the Ring Cycle. It probably Wagner's most famous and powerful work.

-JF

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast