• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: BSOD

Angry OT: BSOD

I already posted this at the GS forum, but nobody seems to be hanging out there recently, so I'll try here.

I just set up my first Giga system yesterday, having been a Kontakt user for a while.

I installed GS3.04 on a brand new PC (P4 3Ghz, 2GB DDR RAM), with absolutely nothing else on it (apart from WinXP and Nero Express) and went through the whole registration thing. Everything seemed to be fine - I got a screen saying, 'Congratulations, you are now a registered user of Gigastudio.'

Then I tried actually starting GS. Nothing unexpected at first. It warned me that GS would be forced into Rewire mode, since I don't have a soundcard fitted (I intend to use Gigateleport, which apparently doesn't require soundcards on the remote machines). Then it updated its sound database. Then it promptly crashed my machine to a BSOD, with the message, 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL' This now happens every time I try to start GS.

I already searched here, and found that someone had had the same problem, but I'm not sure I'm clear how that thread ended. Some people were suggesting that his soundcard was the problem, which clearly can't be the case here. Some people seemed to suggest that memory tweeking might help, but I don't fully understand how poor memory distribution would stop GS from simply booting. Another suggestion was that he might have allowed GS to dump its content to the default 'D' drive, which is often a cache drive, and thereby filled the drive - but I didn't install the content discs at all.

Can anyone help?

Re: OT: BSOD

GigaStudio3 has a configuration manager (System settings) that you can start from their program files tascam folder. You need to set the StartUp options to NO HARDWARE if you intent to work without audio card.
    After you apply and save this. You must restart the app again and run the Diagnostics tool (scan entire system). If this all ends you can press apply, OK and try to start GS as normal.

Further there is a huge list of tweaks that you should perform on a clean Win install if you want GS to run. Here is the link to the tweaks on Tascam's page:

The QuickSound database process can be started again once GS is running. Simply delete the c:/scope file and run again.
    You may want to just check for Gig and gsi files (not art, wav etc) and just allow scanning of the sample drive you have in mind and not the programs and other drives.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

BSOD usually indicates a hardware conflict (just as the error message) not software problems.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Cool Re: OT: BSOD

Thanks Michiel,
    I'm currently away from home, but I'll try all of this tomorrow.

just throwing this in re: my past BSOD woes:

i tested my system with prime95, and it quickly revealed some errors.

then i ran a RAM test (can't remember which at the moment) which revealed some bad blocks. i tested each module individually, and they all passed. then i checked them as pairs in dual channel mode, and found one pair consistently failed.

i RMA'd them with kingston and got a replacement pair at no cost, which so far has passed all the tests, and not BSOD'd.

i'm waiting till i can really hammer this system to give it my final OK and post a followup to my BSOD complaints in the GS forum, but it seems like this might have been the problem all along.

note: the system would chug along fine, and BSOD'd about once a day, which didn't seem all that bad actually (just annoying as hell).

your mileage may vary of course.

John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

St. John's NL

I replied at the giga forum with something to this effect:

Remove Nero. It's bad.

Not sure if Tascam dealt with that in any updates, but it's a cornerstone of any getting-giga-to-work srot of knowlege.

Good luck.

Go Back to forum