• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Home Studios, Work, and Social Interaction

Share/Bookmark

Home Studios, Work, and Social Interaction

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    For those of you who work fulltime from a home-based studio setup...what do you do for social interaction with other professionals in your field?

I've run my own business for 7 years or so. I find that I really miss having friendly coworkers to socialize with and "talk shop".

Overall I love the freedom. But after a while you realize that the social part of work is something humans really need.

For those of you who are in my situation, what have you found helpful? What sorts of activities do you do to "connect" with other people in the profession face to face?

--- Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn; 12-14-2005 at 02:19 PM. Reason: to clarify...

Re: Home Studios, Work, and Social Interaction

Yee gods, I'm like the polar opposite of you. I wish upon my dying black soul that I could hide away most of the day berift of social intercourse with those representatives of the human race I am forced to interact with.

You should see me go into convulsions at the thought of entering a public place, like a mall. I don't know if its anxiety or just that I hate 99.9% of all people on sight.

Oh, I'd give my left arm to be in isolation the better part of the day. Hopefully soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    You should see me go into convulsions at the thought of entering a public place, like a mall. I don't know if its anxiety or just that I hate 99.9% of all people on sight.

Oh, I'd give my left arm to be in isolation the better part of the day. Hopefully soon!
    Amen. Same here. If I want social interaction, I'll hang out with my friends, not with crazy strangers.

Be a bouncer, or work in customer service for a few years and see if you still enjoy social interaction. I guess it depends on your environment though. Some social interaction with strangers can be fun, but I try to limit it, especially since I'm engaged now, and my alter ego is stuffed away where he belongs.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    For those of you who work fulltime from a home-based studio setup...what do you do for social interaction?

I've run my own business for 7 years or so. I find that I really miss having friendly coworkers to socialize with and "talk shop".

Overall I love the freedom. But after a while you realize that the social part of work is something humans really need.

For those of you who are in my situation, what have you found helpful? What sorts of activities do you do to "connect" with other people in the profession face to face?

--- Glenn

Busy people with studio tans tend to hang out in newsgroups and web forums.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    Busy people with studio tans tend to hang out in newsgroups and web forums.

Ernie
    He he. That's a good point. I just finished ripping all over talking with strangers, and here I am doing exactly what I said I don't do.

Cripes! I would give my left *** to be able to have your situation! Social Interaction ya say? How about 180 second and third degree offenders (mostly teens) for social interaction all day!?
    Where the heck is that genie bottle anyway? Rub This!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Cripes! I would give my left *** to be able to have your situation! Social Interaction ya say? How about 180 second and third degree offenders (mostly teens) for social interaction all day!?
    Where the heck is that genie bottle anyway? Rub This!
    I've done that job too. I used to transport them around the county.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    --- Glenn
    Play golf. Then I go home.

Re: Home Studios, Work, and Social Interaction?

<sigh>

I should clarify. I mean interacting with people in the music profession. Not teen offenders, or office politics, office sniping, bull~~~~ meetings, etc.

I mean "talking shop" with people who's talent you recognize and respect, in PERSON. Over coffee, or a beer, or just walking and talking.

Professional acquaintances.

I don't mean being a pen pal with strangers on the Web. That can be enjoyable, too. But for me it is not a substitute for real human interaction.

Those of you who don't LIKE being with people, I understand. This discussion does not involve you ...

--- Glenn

Re: Home Studios, Work, and Social Interaction?

You talking to me?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast