• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: PMI Releases Hybrid Pianos

PMI Releases Hybrid Pianos

Listen Now!

The Hybrid Pianos are unlike any other piano library available today. They allow you to build your own piano by selecting:
    • The Piano, there are 4 basic piano sample sets to choose from!
    • Body Resonance, through several Convolution Presets.
    • Room Ambience, through 30+ Convolution prestets.
    • Hammer Recoil Noise (as soon as you release a key, even when the sustain pedal holds the note, you hear the hammer return)
    • Release Sound, the sound of the strings beeing damped when the dampers return.
    • Amount of Sustain, both sympathetic resonance and sustain resonance amounts can be controlled

You get total control over all these aspects of the sound.
    Simply drag and drop the elements you want to add in your sampler and adjust each component to your personal taste. You can open reverb or sustain resoance presets in GPulse by dragging encoded gig files in a stack or open (a chain of) concolution preset(s) in Kontakt 2. Additionally you have full control over the amount of the additional noises and sustain.
    This allows you to tailor a piano completely to your whishes. Design your own piano!

New Technology

Using new technologies PMI re-invented the principle of piano sampling. The hybrid piano principle works like this: instead of recording one piano with a fixed microphone plot, we captured the different elements as separate building blocks.
    - The body-less piano strings, captured as clean as possible,
    - the different piano bodies, capturing the typical brand characteristics,
    - the acoustic environment, rooms, halls etc.
    Each of these building blocks are captured with very high precision.

Using our new hybrid recombination technique, we re-assemble these components to create a hybrid piano which gives us total control over the different aspects that form a piano sound.

The hybrid recombination technology we use is a complex mathematical series of calculations, based on morphing, convolution and spectral recombination, and is performed off-line by us using an array of computers. The resulting audio samples have higher definition and clarity, better dynamic response and a very distinctive character. Aspects such as piano body structure, typical piano brand sound impression and acoustic space are “rendered” on a sample-by-sample basis for a minimum of 20 dynamic nuances of each note. These 20 dynamic layers (velocity layers) are further processed in real-time with a convolution engine effect to smoothen transients and harmonics. The result is a seemless dynamic response with 127 steps without any noticable gaps or "dead spots".

As a result of spectral recombination the sample can be looped at positions where the sonic fingerprint falls in repeating patterns. This results in sample sets that can be surprisingly small; below 1.5 GB for a 20 layer 24 bits piano! This allows you to load these sample sets completely in RAM memory and overcome polyphony limitations imposed on your system by direct from disk streaming methods that your sampler would normally use.

The acoustic space can also be added with a convolver at the end phase (upon playback) if desired. The HYBRID pianos come with a vast number of acoustic spaces and special effects IR's that can be used through the convolution engine of your sampler to re-create the acoustiuc space you want.

The first piano sample sets that resulted from this technology demonstrate their amazing sonic possibilities.

And most important: These new pianos are an absolute joy to play! They respond much more like real acoustic instruments than any other samples. They give you the “feel” of a real instrument.

320 kbps MPeg Layer 3 audio

Borderland ©Bruce Mitchell/SOCAN MUSIC
    Wanderer ©Bruce Mitchell/SOCAN MUSIC

Adagio clean
    Poem for Piano
    Sonata in F min Jie
    BORDERLAND Hall ©Bruce Mitchell/SOCAN MUSIC
    WANDERER ©Bruce Mitchell/SOCAN MUSIC
    Bright Oranges on the Edge © Sean Beeson + marimba, strings: EWQLSO Pro

IMAGES hall
    Borderland ©Bruce Mitchell/SOCAN MUSIC

Poem for Piano
    Sonata in F min Jie

Any Mac or PC with at least 512 MB of RAM and Kontakt 2 or GigaStudio 3 installed will do.
    Approx. 9 GygaByte disk space for the full library (on a fast hard drive).

NOTE: The modular design allows you to enable all kinds of effects and this will reflect on CPU and polyphony. So we do recommend using the fastest machine you can get. And in Kontakt 2 performance can be dramatically improved by loading the piano sets in RAM only, keeping DFD disabled. If your system has over 1.5 GB of RAM you can load Hybrid 1, 2 or 3 as Sample instead of DFD instrument.

The HYBRID PIANOS library is now available in our Online Shop
    The DVD contains 4 Hybrid Pianos plus the Holy Grail Add-On and Impulse Responses.
    The sampler formats are GigaStudio 3 and Kontakt 2. As soon as EXS24 and Halion3 get convolution and scripting possibilities there will be versions for those samlers also.
    The introduction price is $ 250 for the DVD with all 4 Hybrid Pianos, and for a limited time this INCLUDES FREE 24 HOURS FEDEX DELIVERY.

More info and screenshots at: postpiano.com
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Re: PMI Releases Hybrid Pianos

I know that it is early, but since so many of us live here, where is all of the chatter? What do you guys think. Was anyone privy to beta testing? Should I jump on this or what?

Would this work out for live playing since you may not need such a fast pc?

As always, thanks everyone.

I was curious about the CPU usage myself - it seems to be necessary that its actually doing more CPU wise with smaller/fewer samples. I was wondering if thats basically a 1:1 CPU tradeoff or not.

I was beta tester for this, and i can tell you honestly is sounds great.. And let me tell you i am a very blunt person, if these pianos were horriable, i woudl tell you and be the first one to tell you. but they are not. They are trulely amazing. Out of all the libaries, i have this by far is the best. And i am not jsut saying that, i am not on anybodys payroll, nor am i devolper or anythign like that. I jsut tell the truth. So if you really want an amzing piano grab this one.
    Oh and for the guys asking about pc power and usage. I have a very hi end machien but i also ran it on a machine that is a 2.8 with 1 gig a ram and had no problems at all. I also used K2 not giga, so i cant speak for that giga people. But as i said, this was great, i was glad to be a tester and i am gald to endorse this product, even if my endosrment means nothing. But like i said, if it was crap i woudl say so very loud and clear so people would not waste there money. Its not crap at all, its very good and to tell you the truth, I still cant belive how real it sounds, its just uncanny. Well i hope this answers any question you may have. take care all.

I was a beta tester and wrote one of the demos. (Bright Oranges).

I found this piano library to be incredibly easy to use, and is has some of the best sounding piano samples on the market. This is definetly my go to piano from now on.

Sean Beeson

San Francisco

Please consider developing your samples as virtual instruments in the future and potentially even for this release. I am a MachFive user and while i am in posession of very good (Vintaudio) piano samples already, i would indeed jump on purchasing this library if it didn't mean having to buy another sampler platform in order to do so; the sound quality is excellent and convincing, particularly during quiet playing.

MachFive 2.0, with its promised Kontakt-import improvements may solve this problem for me, but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    I was a beta tester and wrote one of the demos. (Bright Oranges).

Thanks for your demo! It sold me, and I've placed an order.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration

I really liked the demos. I have to admit that I had hoped you would stay with the original planned pricing...

I beta`d this as well. These pianos have a beautiful clear sound. Amazing for Classical and Jazz playing. The programing and attention to detail is 1st class. Michiels approach for this one is a very cool ..
    Best, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Deak
    Would this work out for live playing since you may not need such a fast pc?
    Hi, the low CPU/Ram requirement of these new pianos is certainly one of their great benefits - beside their obvious sound quality and the vast amount of control over the sound.
    The Hybrids 1, 2 and 3 are in the 1.2 GB range. If your system is equipped with 1.5 or 2 GB or RAM you will be able to load them as samples in RAM (Kontakt 2 with DFD off): you''ll be in polyphony heaven, even with weaker CPU's. I amaged to get 250 stereo voices continued playing on moderate systems. If you have a modern powerful CPU you can add all the convolution power you like and still load some other sounds.
    This was one of our main design tasks: a piano set with as many velocity layers as possible (20 proved to work best in our case) without making a monster load on the PC. Who really wants to dedicate 20 Gigabytes of samples for just one piano? And what system requirements does that impose on your system? How can you ever take such a thing on the road for live playing?
    So, we used shorter samples and loops for Hybrids 1, 2 and 3. The loops are
    cutting in at the very end of the samples, so chances are pretty high that you release chords prior to reaching the loop. And even when you reach a loop, the decay is set to continue the note as natural as possible. All loops are cross fading BTW and very hard to detect.

Bruce Richardson has taken the Hybrid pianos on stage for a few live concerts and was very pleased. They were cutting through very well and overall he was impressed by their impact and character.

I tested the Hybrids on various systems during the past few weeks and there are some notes. The plain piano files (without the Holy Grail Add-On effects) are extremely light: you can load them on almost any PC/Mac/laptop. I tried them on a Celeron IBM Thinkpad with just 512 MB and experienced no problems whatsoever.
    Once you load some of the Holy-Grail stuff things get more demanding.
    The Holy-Grail effects are small sample sets and their functionality differs for Giga and Kontakt. Holy-Grail basically adds: Hammer noise, Sustain, Release samples and Pedal noise.
    In Kontakt 2, a script is used that only triggers samples when they are actually heard. So the sustain sample is triggered when you press the sustain pedal. Likewise the release sample is triggered by releasing the keys. The script keeps the "extra" load of this Add-On fairly low. You can set the maximum polyphony of the Add-On to an amount that allows you to play the things you want and just leave some reserved headroom for the Holy-Grail effects.
    In Giga however, the Holy-Grail samples double polyphony regardless the fact that they may be used or not. This is due to the lack of intelligent scripts in Giga at this point. Bruce reported that the Holy-Grail in his Giga setting quickly brought the CPU load higher than his machine could handle under normal playing load. So some caution is needed there. If you play live and don't want to face this kind of problem you may better leave the hammer sound (or other effects) out to avoid that. Currently these Holy-Grail effects are a separate instrument. Probably we can further enhance the Giga set by combining the Holy-Grail sample effects in the main instruments, using Giga's iMidi rules to a further extend so that the samples don't have to be triggered unless they are needed. We're looking into this and I can reveal that TASCAM is also onto this. They are very cooperative in making the most out of Giga for me.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum