• Register
  • Help

Topic: Installing 3rd Hard Drive

Share/Bookmark

Installing 3rd Hard Drive

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knew how to install a 3rd hard drive in my system.
    I have a 20 gig for programs and Windows XP Home, a 60 Gig for my Gigasamples, loops and mixes, and I want to add a 3rd 80 Gig Hard drive to record into Sonar 2 and Vegas...

I noticed the cabling between the hard drives only allows for 2 devices.

Is there a cable that will allow you to hook up 3 hard drives, and is it cool to hook up 3 hard drives in a row?

I also have a CD ROm and a 40X burner..

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Installing 3rd Hard Drive

You can only hook 2 devices to an IDE chain. One is set as a master and the other is a slave. Most systems can only handle 4 devices which you have. You will need to either get rid of the CD-ROM or burner to hook up another hard drive. You may also look into add-in IDE controller cards.

Hmm or you can get a 160Gb drive or dual 160gb drives and that would give you all the space you need, but that would be quite pricy I am guessing around $1000 US. Then all you would need to do is sort everything out by first unpluging one drive copying (lets say the 60Gb one) it to one of the 160Gb hds, then removing the 60Gb hd, putting in the 20Gb hd and copying that one then remove it. Then last of all install the 2nd 160gb harddrive and bang it should all work out. Though that is assuming you will be getting these. Either way you could upgrade to dualing these, in any combination also:
    80Gbs
    100Gbs
    120Gbs

Wow this all looks so complicated, and RESTRICTING!!!!!

Are there any external options that are easy to install??

I could also really do with extra drives. I had no idea these systems were so restricted.

Robert, when I first got my Giga PC, I told the guys I wanted an apps drives, a sounds drive, and a backup for each. They had no problems with that. They just put in a promise IDE controller and hooked up the extra drives to it. I don\'t think the controller boards are a major expense, but I wouldn\'t know how to do it myself...

One thing... I\'m extremely glad I had the backups put in removable drive caddies. It makes the setup very flexible. There has been more than one time when I wanted to take a big project somewhere to work on, without dragging the whole PC, and was able to just copy all the data to one of the backups, slip it out and slip it into a similar bay in another PC. I think a lot of people are doing that with firewire drives.

I\'m also grappling with this. I was thinking of getting a Raid PCI, but I might as well update my motherboard with integral Raid. I\'m wary of running the audio HD off the Raid controller, but I could hook up the other HHDs to it and/or the CD and DVD drives?

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    Robert, when I first got my Giga PC, I told the guys I wanted an apps drives, a sounds drive, and a backup for each. They had no problems with that. They just put in a promise IDE controller and hooked up the extra drives to it. I don\'t think the controller boards are a major expense, but I wouldn\'t know how to do it myself...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Promise is definitely the way to go. You can get the controller card between $30-$40 and it plugs into an available PCI slot. It even comes with the cables to hook up the drive, and they\'re keyed so that they only hook up one way. I\'ve got a Promise controller in one of my PC\'s with four hard drives hooked up to it, and it runs like a champ. (I also have an onboard Raid controller with two hard drives hooked up, and the regular IDE controller on the mainboard with two hard drives and a DVD drive and a CD-RW) My full tower has no vacancy. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum