• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Strad question

Share/Bookmark

Strad question

Is it possible to play harmonics, sul ponticello, sul tasto, pizzicato (bartok pizz?) with the Strad?

/Mats

Re: Strad question

There haven't been any demos featuring these articulations, nor has there been mention of them in the announcements - so it seems that the answer would be no. Maybe in future upgrades???

What? No pizzicato?? No harmonics?? What kind of sample developer would dare to omit them!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    What? No pizzicato?? No harmonics?? What kind of sample developer would dare to omit them!
    You know very well what kind, Mr Garritan. The kind that uses real violin players, pretends it is samples , posts a few pictures on a website, and then goes to live in Montevideo with the ill-gotten gains.
    regards

Man, that's a relief! No pizzeria what good is SSV? Francesco, and Beach would never forgive you.
    Hey Gary, when they going to fix that Avatar problem?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hey Gary, when they going to fix that Avatar problem?
    Yeah, really...I tried getting mine back but it still stays blank.
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    So I(we) should interpret this as
    1. pizz and harmonics - Yes
    2. sul ponticello and sul tasto - No

Still a questionmark about bartok pizz though.....?

/Mats

Well, I don't feel I've got a full answer to my questions. See my last and first post.
    Additional question - how about 'flautando'?
    If 'sul pont' and/or 'sul tasto' is playable, is it possible to
    combine them with 'con sordino'. How complex are the possibilites?
    I don't demand this, I just want to now before ordering.
    As detailed as possible. And I feel my question wasn't taken seriously.

Merry Christmas to you all!!!

/Mats

'flautando'

you do and you're gonna have to clean it up

Dan

I'm sorry you felt your question was not taken seriously. I'll try to repair.

Thinking in terms of a traditional library, you'll find pizzicato, sampled at four dynamics, and natural harmonics. You will not find "sul tasto" nor "sul ponticello" samples.

The philosophy of the Stradivari aims at recreating as many articulations as possible, starting from a reasonable sample set, rather than exploiting mass sampling. The strength of the Stradivari approach is thus mainly represented by real time soundshaping.

Your question about "flautando" (or "flautato") is a nice example of the necessity of using a different approach from what we are accustomed to. "Flautando" means a very weak attack, followed by a sustain with less-than-the-usual bow noise. This can be obtained with the Stradivari by proper use of note-on velocity and the expression pedal. The result can be further improved by some additional tweaking, acting on the relative loudness of bow noise, which is supplied as two independent layers, working at mp & mf dynamics.

With experience, you may agree that the expressive capabilities of this instrument are basically endless. However, most of them are left to the user, as with a real violin.

Go Back to forum