• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: midi to notation

Share/Bookmark

midi to notation

Seasons Greetings

Dear Santa,

Are you using a notation program for hard copy archiving to save full orchestral pieces? I need a simple, quick and easy to learn program to complete a music course that requires notation.

And while your reading my list, I have filled my old computer audio disk up and want to use that computer for this notation program. It has 250 watts of power, 512 megs of ram (max) with an OS drive and an audio drive - all six years old. I am guessing that Notion, Overature4,Finale and Sibelius want more to accommodate their programs. Since you have so much ground to cover, I think you would choose the most expedient program and I really trust your judgement.

My new computer has more than adequate everything, but since I am a one dedicated computer user, I'd like to keep it separate from the notation program.

What would you do?

Oh yes, I've been a very good boy and will not only eat your plate of cookies for you (you can only hold so much, like my old computer) I will also drink the port I opened for you so you can drive safely.

thank you,

jamiha

++++++++++++
    Last edited by jamiha; 12-15-2005 at 03:23 PM. Reason: dead space goof

Re: midi to notation

What are you running on the other computer? Gigastudio?

Overture 4 doesn't require anything much to run. Its the VST's that require the processing and RAM overhead.

You could probably run Overture 4 on a P3 with 256 MB of RAM no problem provided you aren't running VST's.

If you want to send the data to the new spiffy machine, just use MOL or FXTeleport in Overture to tranfer the data.

Easy stuff.

J,
    I have a message for you from Santa.
    He said he's sorry he can't reply in person, but the sled's broken down near the vodka factory near Arkhangelsk in the North, and he's not sure how long he'll be.

anyway, here's the message.

Dear J,

I have your request, and thank you for sending it. As you can appreciate this time of year is busy, so i'll try to help even at this late notice. I have a cold at the moment, and so does Mrs. Santa. She's home in bed being looked after by the chief elf, Igor, and he's doing everything he can for her.
    He's a good man, and never fails to stand up when Gladys (Mrs. Santa) needs something. A dedicated fellow who keeps her happy. She says she doesn't know what she'd do without his constant attention.

Anyway,
    That young rapscalion Joseph Burrell has already already commented about Overture4 so i'll leave that one for now.
    When i'm out cruising around in the sled, it's nice to jot down a tune or two, and before the laptop i used to use parchment and ink. It was ok when i was going slow, but when the pace picked up, particularly if Rudolph had one of his hormonal imbalances, the parchment was too hard to keep still, and the ink got spilt. so, i started using Sibelius, with soundfonts, 'kindly' donated by all the muso's on my round who were too high to leave food, or too selfish to leave a drink. (Never mind. The 60's Eh?)
    Sibelius doesn't use much memory, and the printing facility is pretty good, so the scores come out ok. (The laptop also runs DVD pretty well. Just the thing when there's a long haul between drops, and i play dvd's donated by my musician customers. Interesting to watch, although i don't always understand the plot.)

Hope that helps, and Sibelius will save to audio as well. I will include my latest hit with the program as a bonus for you. 'Xmas cheer, every day of every year.' (Popular with the fundamentalists.)

By the way, i'm a little saddened to read you drank the port. I don't give a sh-t about the food, as the divorcee around the corner from you always gives me something to enjoy, but the drink would have been nice.

so when i come down your chimney and leave a mess all over the living room floor, don't blame me if i'm too busy to clean up the soot!

Regards to you,

Santa.

p.s. You will no doubt know the divorcee i mentioned, (Chantelle) was pregnant this year.

It wasn't me.

Thanks for the response

Joseph - it's windows xp , cubase and giga on both with current editions on the new and previous version on the old. GenieSoft doesn't accept phone orders and I don't credit card the web.

Dear Moscow student. You are already in danger since you started wearing red suits.

Sibelius looks good, but I am reluctant to pay so much just for archival use.
    It may come to that. It depends upon your visit.

And - if you should be so incensed or inclined to leave that big mess, I'll have to be buying clean up gear.

BTW - who keeps the list for your naughty and nices?

thank you both,
    jamiha

You may want to take a look at Sibelius Student Edition, which goes for around $99 and shouldn't take up much processing power. I think it may have voice limitations, so check the Sibelius website to be sure.

Thank you IF

jamiha

Or ScoreWriter 4 (available now for download).

Hosts 2 VST plugins, and its feature set is cut down from Overture 4. Its 59 bucks for the download and its a tremendous value.

Thanks Mr. B,

I'll look into that. You are the most enthusiastic and energetic responder I have seen. Quick, too.

thanks again,
    jamiha

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Does the course require more notation capability than Cubase can provide? My first idea was that if this were just for a course, perhaps that would do, and you would not need to purchase a program you might not otherwise want or use.

What about Finale notepad? That is free, too.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum