• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Remembrances" - Larry Alexander

Share/Bookmark

"Remembrances" - Larry Alexander

Music Lovers,

This is my "Rememberances". It is all GPO including string sections, solo flute and horn section.

Regards,

LGA

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resour...membrances.mp3
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Remembrances" - Larry Alexander

larry - very much enjoyed this one...love the contrasting neo-classical and baroque sections...and especially halfway through where it breaks into a bach-like romp with the horn sustaining that mid-pedal...cool stuff...

josh

Thanks very much, Joshua. It's nice of you to listen and comment.

My best to you,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Nicely done, Larry -- liked the string writing, almost its own antiphony in places. The contrasting styles work very effectively in this case, a neat trick to manage and further delineate form.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Larry,

I love this piece. I really love the contrapuntal elements you have going on. I haven't tried a full orchestration yet but you have done a nice job on this. The only criticism I can offer is that I think it could use a little more dynamic range. Other than that I enjoyed it immensely.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkeo
    Hi Larry,

I love this piece. I really love the contrapuntal elements you have going on. I haven't tried a full orchestration yet but you have done a nice job on this. The only criticism I can offer is that I think it could use a little more dynamic range. Other than that I enjoyed it immensely.

Clark
    Thank you, Clark, from "America's Heartland".

I appreciate your comments.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Nicely done, Larry -- liked the string writing, almost its own antiphony in places. The contrasting styles work very effectively in this case, a neat trick to manage and further delineate form.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Frankly, Dave, form is not uppermost in my mind when I write. This is not to say that I don't believe that form is not important in the grand musical scheme of things. It is important, but so is melody, rhythm, counterpoint, etc.

Thanks for listening to my efforts. You are an inspiration and I appreciate it.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Frankly, Dave, form is not uppermost in my mind when I write. This is not to say that I don't believe that form is not important in the grand musical scheme of things. It is important, but so is melody, rhythm, counterpoint, etc.

Thanks for listening to my efforts. You are an inspiration and I appreciate it.

LGA
    I agree with you fully in that, Larry, in the more, er, formal sense of form... a piece will go where it should, structurally, if you let it -- and if you fight the inclinations of the material, it gets back at you by sounding stilted and unnatural.

My comment went more to the natural expression of the piece's architecture through the element of style.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum