• Register
  • Help

Topic: Altogeher: Everyone say "Ahhhh.."

Birmingham, England

Altogeher: Everyone say "Ahhhh.."

I give private tuition in flute and piano. Last week a parent of an 11-year old pupil asked if I would help make an audition CD of her singing (she's hoping to be accepted for a place in a choir).

With the help of GPO I created a backing track to a song called "What You Never Know (Won't Hurt You)" which is sung by Hayley Westenra on her "Odessy" album, and recorded my young pupil's voice along to it.

Here's a snippet of the result. Since it's a copyrighted song I've just posted an extract.

This kid (only 11 years old) loves singing and really seemed to enjoy her first recording experience. I thought she did pretty well.

GPO piano and strings.

What You Never Know (extract)

Re: Altogeher: Everyone say "Ahhhh.."

Brit Dude,

This kid has a real good sense of pitch for an eleven-year-old. She sings in tune.

You did a nice job on the background. She's lucky to have a teacher like you.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: Altogeher: Everyone say "Ahhhh.."

As a former musical director / vocal coach for a youth theatre group I can say this little one should go on to a nice singing career some day. Young voices like this one are to few and far between. Very special.
    Nice work, unfortunate we cannot listen to the complete performance.

Birmingham, England

Hi Larry and Styxx,
    Thanks for your kind comments. I'll relay them to the proud parents of the little cherub

Wine Country, Colorado

She does indeed have a beautiful voice. And she's not only lucky to have you as a teacher but lucky to live in this age. When we were kids receiving music instruction the best we could hope for was a metronome. Now teachers can create tailor made ensembles for their students to play/sing with.

Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Nice job on the backing, Jon -- works really well! I generally think of GPO as a solo composition tool; but you truly put this together to fine use, here -- quite skillful, highly convincing, and a really nice job on the overall mix.

And you're right, the youngster indeed has a promising voice.

Good speed!

Go Back to forum