• Register
  • Help

Topic: Soft-tongueing the same pitch

Share/Bookmark

Soft-tongueing the same pitch

A question for Tom perhaps,

If I have a number of, say, trumpet repeated notes of the same pitch that I want to soft tongue, I find it very difficult to play this in on a keyboard without having any gaps between the notes.

In an update, is there a way that you could assign a keyboard note (outside the playing range like a keyswitch) to send a note-on command for the note that is already being played within the range? [I think that explains it ]

I have tried alternating playing the same note on two keyboards and this works on one repetition, but when you release the first note on the first keyboard, a note-off signal is sent which cuts the note off.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Soft-tongueing the same pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    A question for Tom perhaps,

If I have a number of, say, trumpet repeated notes of the same pitch that I want to soft tongue, I find it very difficult to play this in on a keyboard without having any gaps between the notes.

In an update, is there a way that you could assign a keyboard note (outside the playing range like a keyswitch) to send a note-on command for the note that is already being played within the range? [I think that explains it ]

I have tried alternating playing the same note on two keyboards and this works on one repetition, but when you release the first note on the first keyboard, a note-off signal is sent which cuts the note off.
    It's best to edit the velocity data after-the-fact to get the best results on soft tongue. Very few controller keyboards give sufficiently subtle control of low velocities to let you accurately play things in. Another aid to this situation will be outlined later in a tutorial.

Tom

Tom,

I didn't explain myself properly.

The velocity editing is simple after the fact, it is more the note lengths that I find a pain. Playing a legato passage of different notes is relatively easy, but with repeated notes it is almost impossible to not get a gap between the notes and, in Sonar, dragging each note to extend it until the start of the next one is quite fiddly.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Now I see what you are talking about. There's already something in the library that can be used in this manner if you don't mind putting in the tongue/slur data after you've played the parts. Use the instruments in the Notation folder and change the pedal mode in the player to the first choice (standard sustain.) When you step on the sustain pedal any note played will sustain until the beginning of the next note. Afterward you can go back and put in the tongue/slur data (in the case of the Notation instruments the controller is cc68.) See if you find that easier to use.

Tom

Go Back to forum