• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dedicated GIGA Rig x2

Share/Bookmark

Dedicated GIGA Rig x2

Well, I\'ve been having an epic struggle trying to get my setup working...MIDIOverLan isn\'t doing it for me - it locks up my computer and sequencer - so I guess I need to try to get a hardware solution working ASAP.

I have my two computers and am going to be making one dedicated to sequencing and mixing -- let\'s call this one COMPUTER A -- and the other used solely for GIGASTUDIO -- let\'s call this one COMPUTER B --.

COMPUTER A has:
    SONAR, a bunch of Sonic Foundry stuff, a Creative Audigy Platinum eX which includes several audio in ports and a 1x1 midi interface.

COMPUTER B HAS:
    GIGASTUDIO, an ECHO MIA card, and a Midiman USB 4x4 midi interface.

I guess I need to figure out how to properly set these up, can anyone help me out?

I\'ve already tried using MusicLab\'s MIDIOverLAN software to just use my ethernet setup as a midi interface, but something is conflicting with it, making both it and SONAR lock up...so I guess I can\'t use that.

Thoughts?
    -zq

Re: Dedicated GIGA Rig x2

I have one machine with USB MIDISport 8x8 MIDI interface. Works fine.

Simon is correct. I use a USB midi port, and would like to soon get a \"USB MIDISport 8x8 MIDI\". USB is not a problem. You can always use the extra midi port on your sound card (if you have one installed) for percussion (or controlling outboard midi devices, like verbs and such) if you are really worried about exact timing, but I don\'t think USB is really a timing issue. The MIDISport 8x8 also has a serial port (as well as USB) that may be slightly faster. Not that a human could tell...

The main reason why midiman 8x8 is working great, and lower end midiman (2x2, 4x4) are not, is that the high-end model (8x8) have a timestamp feature.

The midi latency problem some refers to is mainly due to this fact.

A lot of people have problems with the USB MIDI interfaces, I decided to get away from them myself. If your system B has an onboard game port, you might want to enable that and configure that as the MIDI port. If it doesn\'t pick up a Sound Blaster PCI card, and use the MIDI port on that. You\'ll just need the adapter cable to go from DB15 to MIDI. You may want to use the MIDI port on the Sound Blaster on system A as well.

Originally posted by zquarles:I\'ve already tried using MusicLab\'s MIDIOverLAN software to just use my ethernet setup as a midi interface, but something is conflicting with it, making both it and SONAR lock up...so I guess I can\'t use that.

Thoughts?
    -zq[/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Just wondering: Have you checked out that MidioverLAN didn\'t send your midi in loop? I set it up that way at first- and it kept locking up everything..

-BlueNote-

Bluenote-
    Yes, I\'m in the process of going over this with TechSupport to see if I screwed some settings up - so we\'ll see!
    I hope I can get MIDIOverLAN to work, it would solve all of my midi woes!!

Go Back to forum