• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Ah, the Mirage! Let's here it!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Ah, the Mirage! Let's here it!

Ah, the Ensoniq Mirage! The one that made it all possible for the rest of us...

Over on another thread they were talking about the good old Mirage, and FredProgGH announced that he still plays one live onstage! ...as a controller.

It got me to thinking about my old Mirage stuff.

Here's a little snippet of a piece I wrote where I played the electric guitar lead on my trusty Mirage...then an ESQ1 punchy sawtooth synth lead after that...

http://www.galen-music.com/mirage.wma

Please make allowances for my recording technology of 16 years ago!
    I can't wait until my copy of Lyric Distortion 2 arrives soon!

Got any Mirage stuff to post? Let's hear it!
    (Finally got the spelling right. Wish we could edit titles of posts <grin>)

Re: Ah, the Mirage! Let's here it!

Good licks there Glenn!

Yep, the Mirage guitar!! Until Frank and Co. came along with LD that was my favorite sound. I ran it through a whole rig- wah-wah, chorus, delay, amp. My other secret was I modified it to be mono mode so I could control when it "picked" and do pull-offs, and I extended thange down about an octave further than it was programmed. And I set the bend range to 12 to do wide vibrato and whammys. Here's a solo with it going into a real guitar solo...

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...gel%20Solo.mp3

I love the pitch wheel on the Mirage. I can do all the vibrato wth it and its totally smooth.

I also uised that brass disk with 4 trumpets/ 4 trombones all the time but I'll have to dig to find a recording...

I bought one of the 1st Mirages that came into Vancouver, Canada. Close to $4000 Canadian after the exchange, duties, etc.. The bigger kick was paying $75 for an official blank Ensoniq Mirage pre-formatted 3.5" diskette to save sounds to. No kidding! Fortunately I soon figured out I could use the generic kind and got a box of ten for around the same price. I used to buy Ensoniq sound library diskettes for the Mirage. Can't remember how much they cost but they weren't cheap. 128k (not megs) of ram and a 300 note sequencer. Hexidecimal editing as well on a 2 digit LCD screen. Remember the Transoniq Hacker? Good Times baby, Good Times.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Ah, the Mirage! Let's HEAR it!

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Good licks there Glenn!

...I ran it through a whole rig- wah-wah, chorus, delay, amp. My other secret was I modified it to be mono mode so I could control when it "picked" and do pull-offs, and I extended thange down about an octave further than it was programmed. And I set the bend range to 12 to do wide vibrato and whammys. Here's a solo with it going into a real guitar solo...

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fred...gel%20Solo.mp3
    Hehe, great job, Fred! Nice solo! You really doctored up that 8-bit wonder very nicely!

My Mirage is leaning on a wall in the storage room. I just might have to bring it out of retirement.

--- Glenn

The Mirage was sooo cool! The first sampler that was affordable for "common people"
    Another favourite of mine was the ASR-10, I'm actually thinking of buying one.....
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

...I also uised that brass disk with 4 trumpets/ 4 trombones all the time but I'll have to dig to find a recording...
    Is it just me?... but I have yet to find brass samples that punched like those did! Sure, you had 4 trumpets on the same pitch, but damn, it just worked. I was assigning the mod wheel to volume, long before Gary did!

I traded my Yamaha CP-70 Electric Grand for a Mirage, back in '85 (o.k., maybe not my best move...), at "House Of Guitars" up in Rochester, NY. I was on the road at the time...

I never did any of my own sampling with it though. There was supposed to be a disk that came with the Mirage, that would "null" out all the parameters, so you could sample without any filters, or envelops getting in the way. The guy at the store told me they were out of those... I never did get it, and the one or two times I did try to sample with it, all the parameters from the previously loaded sound were still in effect.

Ahh, the good ole days...

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    I bought one of the 1st Mirages that came into Vancouver, Canada. Close to $4000 Canadian after the exchange, duties, etc.. The bigger kick was paying $75 for an official blank Ensoniq Mirage pre-formatted 3.5" diskette to save sounds to. No kidding! Fortunately I soon figured out I could use the generic kind and got a box of ten for around the same price. I used to buy Ensoniq sound library diskettes for the Mirage. Can't remember how much they cost but they weren't cheap. 128k (not megs) of ram and a 300 note sequencer. Hexidecimal editing as well on a 2 digit LCD screen. Remember the Transoniq Hacker? Good Times baby, Good Times.

Darren
    We share almost the same memories, Darren ... those were the days 8'-) ... It was the Mirage (the black one!) that made me a complete sample-addict. I "upgraded" to the EPS as soon as it got available, adding an EPS16+ rack later, with built-in HD (85MB!), FlashBank and everything. This thing could do tricks that I still miss in modern sample players, especially those sophisticated loop-options.

BTW - there was an attempt to re-animate the Hacker-spirit online:
    -> http://www.voy.com/171451/ ... a very quite place, though.

Anyone got a cheap source for those sounds?

Ernie

I still have pretty much the whole library lying around. I never got froggy enough to do any real sampling with it eyond simple one-shot type stuff- some orchestra hits and such. I made a lot of samples off the Sheik Yerbouti record.

Honestly, with all due respect to some of the great stuff coming out including Eric P.'s samples in the Roland gear and Gary's JABB that Mirage brass sound is still my favorite.

I still have pretty much the whole library lying around. I never got froggy enough to do any real sampling with it eyond simple one-shot type stuff- some orchestra hits and such. I made a lot of samples off the Sheik Yerbouti record.

Honestly, with all due respect to some of the great stuff coming out including Eric P.'s samples in the Roland gear and Gary's JABB that Mirage brass sound is still my favorite.
    The Mirage was ahead of its time and brought digital sampling to many musicians. Before then, the Synclaviers and Fairlights were many thousands of dollars. I purchased my Mirage in the mid 80's for about $1,500 and I still have it (along with back issues of the Transoniq Hacker). It was my main sound source for my MIDI harp and there were sounds that were good - some of the brass, the laser harp, percussion, some of the K-Muse sounds - amazing what they fit on floppy discs. At the time it was fun. Seems like a good direction to go, getting good sounds into small sizes .

Go Back to forum