• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB: All in Good Time - P Read

Share/Bookmark

JABB: All in Good Time - P Read

Hi Everone and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year and Happy Holidays:

I humbly offer another JABB piece for your amusement. This project I tackled to learn some new stuff about JABB and DP4.6 (my new best friend in the digital music world).

Here’s what I learned or tried to learn this time: The slower tempo allowed me to really pay attention to the mod wheel, and sustain pedal (particularly working to vary my touch as well. Light touch and pedal is quite legato, strong attack and pedal is accented, but different than the attack when the pedal is off. This really takes practice, but I’m starting to get the hang of it slowly As Tom points out in other postings on the forum, without control of the mod wheel and the sustain pedal, the samples just lie there like old eggs. As a piano player, it goes against instinct sometimes to use the pedal this way, but this old dog is learning a new trick or two. It’s much fun.

Mixing buckets and saxes is an arranger’s challenge and one that I haven’t done a lot of, so this piece really pushed my mixing and writing skills. I think this mockup is a good indication of how a live band might do with this. You may notice that here is an impossible mute change later in the chart: open to buckets in less than a beat, but, the score is marked ‘into stand’ and so I thought this would be a good compromise.

The piece has a horrible title (All in Good Time). Picked because the publisher wanted to target the young band/jazz ed market and asked a few composers in our area to contribute. The principal challenge for the young ones was to play with good time in what may be called an adult tempo.
    As I said in an earlier post, this is a tremendously difficult thing for me to do. My choice was to write a sort of Billy Byers / Neil Hefti style chart. You know, slow Basie with buckets and Joe Newman type harmon solo and so on.

Well it failed, miserably in my view. The piece was SO mundane and easy that I immediately tore every last strand of hair out of my head (it hurt too). And I deserved it. But never say die and I decided that it would be fun to see if there was anyway to resurrect this one at all. The melody is still pretty trite in my view and it borders on being a dance chart, but I think the improvements I made in it in the revision I just finished elevated it at least a bit. What I did was reshape, re- orchestrate and hip up some of the less interesting voicings. I also made a few rhythmic/melodic adjustments.

It’s playable by a young group, but they have some challenges:

1) Tempo /feel
    2) the solo changes
    3) finding bucket mutes
    4) playing like they have 20 years experience playing this older style
    5) playing those inner voices in tune. It isn’t easy for a kid to play a 13th a half step away from a 7th inside the voicing.

Words, words, words. Blah blah blah. Yaddayaddayadda. Just airing my thoughts.

Hope you might enjoy this attempt at CPR of an older “easy reader” as our old, and sorely missed friend, Frank Mantooth would call it.

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/All%20in%20Good%20Time.mp3

Paul

PS If anyone is interested in it, I am going to post the score on my website. This chart was initially published and a few people bought it (and that was nice). I want to give a free copy of the revision in case anyone sees it there who purchased the original. FREE UPGRADES!!!! Whoohoo. I’ll put up the link when it is ready for public viewing. Right now it exists as a paper copy of the original with MANY peniclled corrections and revision. And believe me, that would be of LITTLE use to anyone.
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: JABB: All in Good Time - P Read

Paul,

A really nice chart!

You give away your piano roots in the all too short piano solo - it really comes alive in those few seconds, great playing.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Nice Going Paul, it has a nice Hefti type lope to it, but with better harmony.
    I loved the Piano Solo, man, how about a trio piece soon.?
    I had a nose around your site the other day, and was delighted to find that George Coleman transcription. "My Funny Valentine" was my Jazz epiphany, my road to Damascus conversion. So it was great to see that wonderful solo there.
    Every piece you post shows progress, in utilising the JABB.Can't wait for the next one.
    regards

I enjoy reading about your construction of these pieces.

Thanks for posting Paul!
    Dan

Mr. Paul,

Wow! Great writing, Dude! This is something to be proud of.

I thoroughly enjoyed your original work and your fine arrangement of it. I especially like your piano touch.

Looking forward to more, more.

My best to you,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Paul,

I'm really enjoying watching you work with the library. You are the perfect example of what I had hoped would happen with these tools. Keep 'em comin'.

Tom

Thanks for the kind remarks everyone. Just banging away at this to try to learn about using samples in a halfway musical way in a jazz setting is turning out to be both challenging and fun. Thanks for the comments about the piano. Joaz: Perhaps a trio piece would be fun to try. But I'm such a lousy drummer! Soon maybe.

Meanwhile, I'm tackling another big band ballad that features alto. I am really interested in exploring what possiblities I can learn there. The raw saxophone samples have taken a good thrashing from me in various posts, but there is much I still haven't tried. cc26 is at the top of my list.

BTW, I used alto 3 rather than 1 as the lead player in this one. I kind of liked it a bit better than the 1st player (tone, mainly).

Incidentally, the release into the piano solo was supposed to have a fall in the saxophones. JABB release effects only in the trumpets. Perhaps a future release will give the saxophones some falloffs (hint, hint).

Again my thanks for your comments, guys.
    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Thanks Tom!!!! Quite a compliment. I am finding out that there is so much more under the hood of this library, and you are to be congratulated on your great product. I have tons more to learn about it obviously and will continue to explore. Much fun!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Paul,

I'm really enjoying watching you work with the library. You are the perfect example of what I had hoped would happen with these tools. Keep 'em comin'.

Tom

Joaz:

You and I share ephiphanal histories. In 1965, I became totally hooked on Four and More, My Funny Valentine (partner album) and Empyrean Isles (same rhythm section with Freddie instead of Miles and no George). I can still remember one listening of the MANY that I gave those albums, where I suddenly heard music differently. Hard to explain really, but, it was like the lights went on and the voice, the human quality of that music really spoke to me. Okay, a but weird to describe it, that way, but the whole thing about human response to music is beautifully weird anyway. I eventually learned to sing all the solos (badly) with those albums and the George Coleman transcription was the only one I took the time to write down. Glad you found it.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Nice Going Paul, it has a nice Hefti type lope to it, but with better harmony.
    I loved the Piano Solo, man, how about a trio piece soon.?
    I had a nose around your site the other day, and was delighted to find that George Coleman transcription. "My Funny Valentine" was my Jazz epiphany, my road to Damascus conversion. So it was great to see that wonderful solo there.
    Every piece you post shows progress, in utilising the JABB.Can't wait for the next one.
    regards

Paul:

Outstanding chart. And, yes it does sound like a "dance tune," but what a dance.
    Your use of the library is amazing and we all look forward to hearing just about everything you send our way.

Awesome arrangement. My only comment would be that the trumpet player was playing "outside" instead of in the studio. I know you talked about the mutes, etc., but I would have liked hearing him play a little louder. Everything else is so well done, it just motivates me to study more.

Thanks for sharing these sounds with us, Paul.

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast