• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL Virtual Instrument solo violin beta test piece

Share/Bookmark

VSL Virtual Instrument solo violin beta test piece

I have been fortunate to be one of the beta testers for VSL's new Virtual Instrument (the solo violin only).

Herb has just posted one of the test pieces I did using the beta VI. It is the solo violin (without orchestra) from Jules Massenet's Meditation.

It uses a number of new articulations including Zigane (gypsy), progressive vibrato, marcato (piano), portamento (piano), harsh, and artificial harmonics.

I hope that this will give people some idea of this sampled violin's wonderful expressive potential.

Thanks as always for listening.

Best,
    Jay

**note-- I have learned that Gary Garritan had used the same piece to demo his new Strad software. I do not wish either company to feel uncomfortable, and so I have removed the link to the piece until this can further discussed. I am certain that both products will be great and I hope they are both a huge success.

Re: VSL Virtual Instrument solo violin beta test piece

Are you saying it will be a new VI solo violin only instrument or will it be part of the new VI solo strings package?

Nice work as usual JB. Quite enjoyable.

I believe the solo violin will be part of the solo strings VI. I think once you have purchased the standard solo strings VI you will be able to purchase just the extended violin articulations if you wish separately from the other extended solo string articulations. But I'm not 100% clear on this. You're probably best off posing this question to the VSL staff on their forum.

Best,
    Jay

Bravo! You've done an excellent job. Very musical and believable (in the context of the current sampling state-of-the-art blah blah blah- let's not start that other thread again, shall we?? )

Any comments on the ease or lack of ease of programming using the new VI?

Nice Job, Jay. I loved the harmonics at the end. Some of the progressive vibrato's were very convincing, some a bit less so. It is really great to hear some none-vib work, The vibrato on Solo String samples tends to hasten the onset of "Sample Fatigue". In fact the thing that stuck out most to me was the Vibrato on the turns (as in Wagner turns, I forget the technical term at the moment).
    You coaxed a very musical performance out of this software. I have heard solo violin everyday of my life for the last 27 years, by virtue of being married to a violin player. So I will run this by her tomorrow and report back.
    I am delighted to see that the controversy caused by your previous submission has not dampened your ardour.
    regards

Jay,

This sounds great! (am I allowed to say that? ) I loved the choir piece you did as well! I hope I get some cash for Christmas!

On a side note:

With all of the debating on "real vs. samples" I have to say this. A few years ago my daughter's school went to see the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (scaled down version, about 50 players?) at a church. I had just written a few pieces with EWQL's Gold library so I was chomping at the bit to hear a real orchestra play live. (Hadn't heard one since high school) Without getting attacked here here I have to say I was a tad dissapointed. I suppose I was expecting this mass of sonic warmth to envelope me but I didn't hear that. Perhaps the venue wasn't really made for great sound. Perhaps the scaled down version of the orchestra had something to do with it, or perhaps my ears were still ringing from the last drum solo I did back in the 80's Of course there were amazing moments, but I thought overall the sound was, dare I say it, a little thin. (ducks at the oncoming onslaught )

Has anyone else here experienced this? A lot of people comment on how nothing sounds better than "real" but has any one experienced the opposite?

I listen to Thomas J's choir piece he wrote for his friend who passed away and it takes my breath away (samples or not)

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    So... don't you want to be married for 28 years?

Generally, I've found that live performers aren't enthusiastic and excited about the prospect of being replaced by technology. It's not a good way to win any points.

Lee Blaske
    Yes Lee, I have found the same.
    As for remaining married, well unless the VSL VI learns how to cook and ...ahem ( coughs discetely) perform other wifely duties, I dont think she will feel too threatened.
    It is us men who are threatened with extinction. If ever women learn how to park, I fear our days may be numbered.
    regards

Jay PM'd you with wifely feedback.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    I listen to Thomas J's choir piece he wrote for his friend who passed away and it takes my breath away (samples or not)

To remain OT for a sec I would like to say that ThomasJ is in my humble estimation a very gifted composer (as well as wizard of sample performance). His works would communicate in just about any form-- be it real orchestras or sample libraries. Of course a good performance never hurts .

Best,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Lots of people are also spoiled by listening to exquisite recordings at higher than natural levels, and/or huge sound tracks in home or movie theater surround sound environments. The real thing can't compete with the impact of a pumped up recording through a huge playback system. In a live concert, one person struggling with unwrapping the crinkly paper of their throat lozenge can distract an entire section of the audience during quiet passage. Unwrapping a lozenge would never be heard over the levels that most people play back recordings and movies. Also consider that a well done recording is optimized in a way that you can't experience in a natural acoustic environment. The main stereo mics are most likely going to be flown over the orchestra at an optimum location. This location is better than the best seat in the house (unless your seat was suspended over the orchestra by wires). Additionally, most recordings will have a number of spot mics that will impart a presence to solo instruments that you just won't get sitting in the audience. Finally, a good recording will be essentially perfect (optimized performance, with no mistakes, intonation problems, etc.).

A good live performance in a good acoustic space can be a wonderful experience, but you need to learn to appreciate the experience in a somewhat different way.

Lee Blaske
    very well put Lee very well put!

Dan

Go Back to forum