• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Forgive me for doubting- the case for brains over brawn

Share/Bookmark

Red face Forgive me for doubting- the case for brains over brawn

I just spent my entire weekend working with JABB and I have to say that I knew it would be great, but I had no idea it would be this great. Because I have piano, drum and, bass libraries that are bigger than the entire JABB library, I just assumed that I would want to use these other libraries with JABB because the lack of a bazillion gigs of sample layers would lead to the dreaded machine gun effect. I just couldn't have been more wrong.

In particular the drum samples are the best I have heard for jazz. I have never been satisfied with the ride cymbals of any previous drum library for jazz work. The rides are superb, the toms are amazing, the hats and snares are just perfect!! Every single instrument in this library sounds great and it is because of the fact that, not only were these brilliantly recorded, but the library was so well thought out and programmed, that they are just so...so..well, musical!

The brilliant use of controllers allows the user to get just about any articulation without resorting to a huge number of samples. the process of playing them is incredibly intuitive and just plain fun.

I am currently working on a rendition of Gene Krupa's "Sing, Sing, Sing" that really highlights these incredible drums. I'm still working on the horns, but the rhythm section is complete and sounds incredible- I can't wait to hear the finsished version and share it. Please forgive me for ever doubting, I will never do that again with a Garritan product.

Cheers,
    Ray

Thumbs up Re: Forgive me for doubting- the case for brains over brawn

Here! Here!
    Sing Sing Sing? Can't wait to hear.
    Styxx

Re: Forgive me for doubting- the case for brains over brawn

Sing, Sing, Sing? Yes!!!

Including all the solos from the Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall recording, I hope!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I couldn't agree more Ray.
    Those who have never tried to program Jazz drums before, will think me guilty of ridiculous hyperbole, but I honestly believe the Ride Cymbal alone justifies the price of this Library.
    I have a TV writer composer friend who buys everything that comes to market so without owning it all myself, I have managed to glean a pretty good idea of what is out there.
    As far as I can see,for Jazz music there is nothing that comes close to JABB drums.
    regards

Ray,

I think Gary needs to hire you as our press agent!! Thanks so much for starting off my week on a very positive note - a nice Christmas present for us. It's always fun to read that the last year of hard work has paid off for users.

Tom

P.S. Thanks Joaz for seconding that post!

Sing Sing Sing . . . the Chips Ahoy tune!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Ray,

I think Gary needs to hire you as our press agent!! Thanks so much for starting off my week on a very positive note - a nice Christmas present for us. It's always fun to read that the last year of hard work has paid off for users.

Tom

P.S. Thanks Joaz for seconding that post!
    Well, shucks, Tom, I am still busy being impressed with the GPO!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Those who have never tried to program Jazz drums before, will think me guilty of ridiculous hyperbole, but I honestly believe the Ride Cymbal alone justifies the price of this Library.
    Ha! No doubt. That ride is sweeet.

I've only had JABB a few days and I'm still experimenting with it, but already it's been very impressive. I have to say that it's not quite as playable, right out of the box, as GPO... you may have to do a fair amount of controller editing after the fact to get the horns or saxes to sound convincing... but once you do that, there is a lot of variation and nuance you can get with everything, and it's quite ingenious how Tom and Gary were able to work all of the capabilities into the programming.

I'll admit that jazz music isn't really my bag, and I'll be using JABB for a variety of different things (check out the demo section for JABB horns used in a rock song), but when I first got it I couldn't help but mess around for a while and actually started coming up with a cool jazz piece that I'm now bound to keep working on. So like GPO, JABB is a really inspiring collection of sounds that will open up a lot of new ideas for me.

Thanks, Gary and Tom, for another great product!
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Can't resist an opportunity to echo the positive remarks about the drums and CYMBALS. I love both the stix and brush kits. And particularly love the variety of sounds you can get out of the various cymbals. Many of which haven't made their way into a project yet. I am pecking away at a project that uses the fusion kit, some latin percussion and the fretless bass samples and so far, just great. What a great set of tools!
    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Sing, Sing, Sing? Yes!!!

Including all the solos from the Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall recording, I hope!
    I wish I was up to that task! Some of the best solo playing ever recorded. I actually am planning to do several versions of the song, the first will be pretty straight ahead without flashy solos.

Go Back to forum