• Register
  • Help

Topic: String sounds in Nara (ES Posthumous)

Share/Bookmark

String sounds in Nara (ES Posthumous)

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any tips on trying to replicate the beautiful rich string sounds that you can hear in the ES Posthumous piece Nara. Is there some post-audio processing I should be looking into? Or perhaps I'm not using the right type of samples (I currently am using EWQLSO Gold).

Thanks for any help.

-Arya

Re: String sounds in Nara (ES Posthumous)

hmmm....yeah, here's how:

Hire a real string section!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Haha Of course Any other tweaks or recommendations?

Thanks midphase

-Arya

Actually, Kays wasn't being glib. It's well known that the brothers Von Lichten hired a studio orchestra and choir to record "Unearthed."
    You know what I blame this on the downfall of? Society.

Tweaks and recommendations?
    Well, first off forget the modwheel, it seems to have no effect on live players. Ditto with any pedals you may have.
    However adjusting the velocity with which you berate them for not doing what you asked can give an interesting variation to the sound which will make it seem more 'real'.
    Drawing out your midi data curves in the air with the baton can have unpredictable results, but you had might as well try it if all else fails. Some live 'patches' will respond to this more than others.
    Don't listen to the hype, there is just no substitute for having a real ninja at the session - the Sonicfinger plugin can be pretty startling, but can also produce ulgy digital artefacts that ruin the effect.
    Attempting to adjust the players' knobs to increase the richness of the sound can result in an untimely termination fo the session.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Tweaks and recommendations?
    Well, first off forget the modwheel, it seems to have no effect on live players. Ditto with any pedals you may have.
    However adjusting the velocity with which you berate them for not doing what you asked can give an interesting variation to the sound which will make it seem more 'real'.
    Drawing out your midi data curves in the air with the baton can have unpredictable results, but you had might as well try it if all else fails. Some live 'patches' will respond to this more than others.
    Don't listen to the hype, there is just no substitute for having a real ninja at the session - the Sonicfinger plugin can be pretty startling, but can also produce ulgy digital artefacts that ruin the effect.
    Attempting to adjust the players' knobs to increase the richness of the sound can result in an untimely termination fo the session.
    He he, he said "nobs".
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Thanks guys. As always appreciate the forum's knowledge and insight.

By the way Kays, I didn't just ignore your response (hopefully it didn't come across that way). I am aware that the recording used a real orchestra. I think it's safe to say there is no substitute for a real trained orchestra (at least from a sonic perspective...no comments about dealing with live musicians) in a real recording hall.

Was just trying to find an "cheap 'n' easy" way out I suppose. Thanks anyways

-Arya

P.S. I'll refrain from drawing out MIDI data curves with the baton

Quote Originally Posted by Arya
    ...P.S. I'll refrain from drawing out MIDI data curves with the baton
    Correct. The baton is used for triggering the MIDI metronome. The left hand is used for the MIDI envelopes.

-JF

Go Back to forum