• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: need help on reverb for piano

Share/Bookmark

need help on reverb for piano

what reverb do you use with a stand alone piano piece?
    i'm trying different settings, but it always feels so empty, well the piece is pretty simple so it doen't help, but i've heard some demos here and it sounds much better. some tips please?

Re: need help on reverb for piano

I'm no expert, but I think that usually a the reverb that goes with a piano is quite dry. I don't know if I'm using the right words, but the reverb doesn't have to be short, but not too wet. Am I using the right words here?
    -Chris

Altiverb 5 on a MAC, pick any concert hall or acoustic space, or a hardware device like Lexicon, EMT and TC Electronics.
    Your piano will be there!
    dpDan

Hey Dan!

Would you mind listing some more suggestions, mainly for PC user, like me? Pay- and Freeware is equally interesting. I like the sound of Garritan Ambience, but feel a bit lost when searching for other reverbs. Because of my terribly limited skills I can't tell and don't know which one is good or bad.

Thank you!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Hey Dan!

Would you mind listing some more suggestions, mainly for PC user, like me? Pay- and Freeware is equally interesting. I like the sound of Garritan Ambience, but feel a bit lost when searching for other reverbs. Because of my terribly limited skills I can't tell and don't know which one is good or bad.

Thank you!
    the ones i have is garritan ambience of course, lexicon and sonitus (i think this is the name) that comes with sonar,

Hi Musicpete,

I don't have any suggestions for PC users because I don't have any reverbs for the PC. Actually I do have Tascam's GigaPulse in Gigastudio 3 Orchestra, and it is pretty decent, but the selections are way fewer and the way in which things are adjusted is clumbsy, but it does sound decent. I have heard alot of good comments about SIR.

Dan

Thank you both (!) for those replies!

That LExicon reverb sounds nice and looks interesting. "Unfortunately" I use Cubase SX2 and as you may know: There areonly very basic plugins, included. This means: Only a very basic reverb.

I am quite happy with SIR and recently started understanding the tweaking of the impusle response curve with EQ. So thanks for confirming me in this!

Does anyone of you know the WizooVerb W2? The demo video looked interesting.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Quote Originally Posted by the emperor
    the ones i have is garritan ambience of course, lexicon and sonitus (i think this is the name) that comes with sonar,
    Since you are using Sonar, I suggest that you use the Sonar FxReverb. Fiddle around with it a bit, and when you find what you like, save it. Mostly, the piano will need very little reverb. It gets muddy very fast. I now use Sonar FxReverb exclusively.

Richard

Lately I have been using the free SIR convolution reverb on the PC. There are many free impulses available to download of varying room sizes. I find it much more realistic than other reverb plugins like Sonitus, Lexicon, Anwida, etc. It's a bit of a resource hog, though --but it's great on the master bus. Here's where you can get it:

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Since you are using Sonar, I suggest that you use the Sonar FxReverb. Fiddle around with it a bit, and when you find what you like, save it. Mostly, the piano will need very little reverb. It gets muddy very fast. I now use Sonar FxReverb exclusively.

Richard
    Same here. It's the only reverb module in which I actually understand what (almost) every slider does. I get very nice results with it.

Go Back to forum