• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Samples for Argentinian tango music: I could need some advice

Share/Bookmark

Samples for Argentinian tango music: I could need some advice

I would like to compose some Argentinian tango music. Though there are very good sample libraries for most instruments of a tango ensemble (violin, contrabass, solo violin, flute) the bandoneon remains a problem. Currently I use a concertina sample from Michiel Post´s accordeon library but it´s not quite what I´m looking for.
    I know that bandoneons are incredibly difficult to sample as they are very expressive instruments but has anyone out there got some advice for me which sample (or sample library) comes close enough to use it for Argentinian tango music?

Re: Samples for Argentinian tango music: I could need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I was thinking the same thing the other day. I'm a huge Piazzolla fan and specially love his Concerto for Bandoneon and Orchestra. The best I've been able to come up with so far is from Big Fish Audio. They have a tango collection that seems to be mostly phrase samples, but does include a multisampled bandoneon. I have not got this yet (spent too much money at EastWest for christmas), but the demo sounds pretty good. I do need to find out to make sure that the demo was done witht he multisamples only and not phrases. Hope this helps and if you get it first please keep us informed on how it sounds.

Tom
    Hi Prince Tom
    I came across this CD today as well and asked the same question
    I actually mailed Big Fish Audio and asked about the way the demos (especially the first one) was produced. I´ll keep you informed
    best regards
    Raindog

But Bach made God extremely popular

If you like editing samples you can grab this one and see if you can get it work for you. It's a full giga instrument of bandoneon samples but I never finished it.
    http://www.postpiano.com/free/BANDOLEON.gig
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thanks for the samples - they seem good for quick runs, but maybe not so good for the long notes, since they are tough to loop well.

Bandoneone must be particularly hard to sample, since it has such a wacky system of reeds and voicing. Also, with such huge bellows, the long expressive notes are really what make it distinctive...which means those long samples with lots of expression tweaking are needed...

-z

I have a good bandoneon sound that I use in realtime mode , The best i never heard : name "My Bandoneon" I think is not a commercial realisation , I look the tag :Adrian Charras_TE: 02478-450760 e-mail: adrian@todd.com.ar, someone know ?

Red face Re: Samples for Argentinian tango music: I could need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    If you like editing samples you can grab this one and see if you can get it work for you. It's a full giga instrument of bandoneon samples but I never finished it.
    http://www.postpiano.com/free/BANDOLEON.gig
    Hi Michiel,
    thanks very much for providing the samples. I had these already as I own your accordeon library (gigaformat). maybe I should really start to edit those samples. I was always a bit lazy in the past
    Merry christmas
    Raindog

Quote Originally Posted by Prosilicium
    I have a good bandoneon sound that I use in realtime mode , The best i never heard : name "My Bandoneon" I think is not a commercial realisation , I look the tag :Adrian Charras_TE: 02478-450760 e-mail: adrian@todd.com.ar, someone know ?
    Salut Adrian,
    j´ai ecrit un e-mail a toi.
    Jouyeux noel
    Raindog

PS: Excuse my clumsy French but I rarely write in French (but I try hard)

So I bought "Play the Tango" from BigFish Audio, extracted the chromatically sampled Bandoneon samples and created a Kontakt 2 instrument.

Quite some work and not reallly cheap but so far the best Bandoneon sound I could get.

I also like the phrases on the CD but I´m not a big fan of playing with phrases so it´s more a nice add-on to the bandoneon.

Raindog

Does anyone know if there have been any developments re Bandoneon samples since these earlier posts?

Many thanks

RichardP

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Does anyone know if there have been any developments re Bandoneon samples since these earlier posts?

Many thanks

RichardP
    East West - Quantum Leap Gypsy sample library includes a bandoneon. Haven't heard it though..

Go Back to forum