• Register
  • Help

Topic: Making keyswitches in Editor?

Share/Bookmark

Making keyswitches in Editor?

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me, or guide me to a tutorial or something on how to make key-switches in the GigaStudio Editor - what I'd like to do, for example, is to combine patches from the legato .gig file from SISS with patches from the staccato .gig file, so that I can save some midichannels. I've been looking through the helpfile, but haven't really found anything that helps (maybe I'm blind?)
    Help is EXTREMELY appreciated.

Re: Making keyswitches in Editor?

With the recent versions of GS3 you don't even need to use the editor. Just stack the instruments on a single channel, and set the stack properties to enable the keyswitch.

-JF

In the editor, it is very easy:

Open a gig file with the first of your articulations.

Click "select Lock" at the bottom so that all regions are highlighted.

Click "click to assign" in the very center of the screen.

Under "control Source", the drop-down menu, find "Keyboard" and select it.

Click ok.

Now you have two splits, both with the same samples, and a default range of keyswitches (E1-B1 on mine, not sure if that is configurable somewhere).

Double click the instrument name, top left, getting the properties dialog, then change Dimension Key start, Dimension Key end to whatever your keyswitches should be.

Click ok.

Load the set of samples for the second keyswitch, either with <E>dit, Import Sample Directory (if they are saved on disk) or by loading another gig file and selecting the folder and copying (Control C) the samples (lower left panel) and pasting them into the gig file on which you are working.

Click on the right most "split" under "Keyboard", center of the screen, then drag the second keyswitch sample folder over and drop onto the center-left section headed "Velocity". If all the samples fall into the same range, this should automatically assign the samples to the correct pitch.

Save the gig file under new name, and you've finished the first pair of keyswitched samples.

Lengthy to describe, but you can get it done in seconds when you get accustomed to clicking in the right places.

guliel's directions are most likely correct, but Belbin described how to use keyswitching much easier. I have copied his post from another thread that was started just the other day when someone asked the same thing.

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    One of the buttons at the top of your instrument loader pane looks like a tiny picture of three midi channels in giga. Depress it. This enables stacking. Then just drag instruments to your desired channel. Do this in the order, from low to high, that you want your keyswitches to be arranged. There is no re-ordering after the fact without re-building the stack.

Next, click on the little down arrow to the right of the instrument name that is displayed in the main channel slot where you loaded your instruments. Select "Stack properties". This is where you set up your keyswitches. If you click "Learn", in this window, you can just click on the lowest and highest of your desired KS's, and giga will do the rest.

Best of luck,
    Belbin

JonFairhurst & DPDAN: yeah, I've read about that technique - however, I'll need to upgrade to 3.1 to be able to use that, and for some reason, when I update 3.1 and above my system becomes VERY unstable, which is why I wanted to make it in the editor instead.
    Gugliel: you are a godsent, that was exactly what I needed, thanks a million

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    In the editor, it is very easy:

Open a gig file with the first of your articulations.

Click "select Lock" at the bottom so that all regions are highlighted.

Click "click to assign" in the very center of the screen.

Under "control Source", the drop-down menu, find "Keyboard" and select it.

Click ok.

Now you have two splits, both with the same samples, and a default range of keyswitches (E1-B1 on mine, not sure if that is configurable somewhere).

Double click the instrument name, top left, getting the properties dialog, then change Dimension Key start, Dimension Key end to whatever your keyswitches should be.

Click ok.

Load the set of samples for the second keyswitch, either with <E>dit, Import Sample Directory (if they are saved on disk) or by loading another gig file and selecting the folder and copying (Control C) the samples (lower left panel) and pasting them into the gig file on which you are working.

Click on the right most "split" under "Keyboard", center of the screen, then drag the second keyswitch sample folder over and drop onto the center-left section headed "Velocity". If all the samples fall into the same range, this should automatically assign the samples to the correct pitch.

Save the gig file under new name, and you've finished the first pair of keyswitched samples.

Lengthy to describe, but you can get it done in seconds when you get accustomed to clicking in the right places.
    Excellent description! Thank you.
    Can you push it one further to add how to make it 4 or 6 keyswitches
    using instruments that are already created?

Thanks,

Steve Karl

glad it was helpful.

To make additional keyswitches (or any kind of split), gigastudio 2.5 and 3.0/3.1 differ. With 2.5, you must create powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16); with 3.0 and later, you can add additional splits one at a time.

In 3.1, just repeat the same steps one region at a time; for 2.5 (I think -- no longer have a copy available to check), you'll make 2 more keyswitches, then must load samples into them one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    glad it was helpful.

To make additional keyswitches (or any kind of split), gigastudio 2.5 and 3.0/3.1 differ. With 2.5, you must create powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16); with 3.0 and later, you can add additional splits one at a time.

In 3.1, just repeat the same steps one region at a time; for 2.5 (I think -- no longer have a copy available to check), you'll make 2 more keyswitches, then must load samples into them one at a time.
    Ahhh....
    I guess I've got to get down to actually doing it now to really be able to
    understand it.
    I really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Steve

Go Back to forum